Is 82 too hot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laurieb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks,
So it's in the 90's today and my community tank has gotten up to 82 degrees. It's usually around 78-80. I turned the heater off and opened the top. Should I take further a action to cool it a little or just monitor it for now?
I have neons, guppies, cories and a betta. Thanks!

I wouldn't want it getting too much hotter. Be sure to leave your hood open or off and you can also use a clip on fan on the side of the tank blowing across the water surface to help.

82 is ok for most fish as long as your water is oxygenated enough. I often run mine higher as it increases the fishes metabolism.

Cooling Your Tank

Hi folks,
So it's in the 90's today and my community tank has gotten up to 82 degrees. It's usually around 78-80. I turned the heater off and opened the top. Should I take further a action to cool it a little or just monitor it for now?
I have neons, guppies, cories and a betta. Thanks!

Hello laurie...

Your water temp can go a bit higher, but 83 to 84 degrees would be the high end. Aquatic plants, if you have them, don't generally like water that gets too warm.

When the room gets a bit warm, I set up a small fan and aim it toward the tank. This is all it takes to drop the water temp a couple of degrees and maintain it. You don't need to adjust anything on the tank.

B

I think you are fine. I have neons in my Discus tank and they do well at temps from 84-87 degrees with no problems. Addint O@ helps with oxgenation. Secondly where do you put your thermometer?
Remember that water is usually cooler at the bottom than it is at the top (thermo dynamics). Warm water rises, cool water falls.

Thanks everyone! I took the lid off and pointed a fan at the surface. The thermometer is on the bottom of the tank so it's probably a bit warmer at the surface. I have one of those computer fans on my goldie tank...I may have to get one for this tank too.

You have received some good advice.

I just wanted to add that your betta should be lovin' it at that temperature. My tanks hit 82 and pretty much fluctuates between that and 79 all summer long.

David

I think you are fine. I have neons in my Discus tank and they do well at temps from 84-87 degrees with no problems. Addint O@ helps with oxgenation. Secondly where do you put your thermometer?
Remember that water is usually cooler at the bottom than it is at the top (thermo dynamics). Warm water rises, cool water falls.

One point - the above does not apply if you have the proper circulation in the tank. If you have thermoclines in a tank, you need more circulation.

CMOS

Adding an air stone or a series of them helps as well. It turns the water over and over and keep it cool. When I get too hot, I raise my canopy and run the airstones. On other occasions, I freeze tank water in a zip loc bag and just toss it into the tank. It melts slowly and gives me a 1-2 degree drop over 3-4 hours. Once the water thaws, I just put it back in the freezer. This works pretty well in emergency situations and the waters dont mix

Back
Top Bottom