Is an undergravel filter necessary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RussC

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know back in the old days when I did a freshwater tank I had an undergravel filter with the clear bubble tubes and a stone attached to a pump. Is that still the case today? I can tell you how to do a marine tank but now that my daughter wants a freshwater tank what would be the smartest, simplest way to set this thing up. I have a lot of gear already and may have what it takes. Comments?

RussC said:
I know back in the old days when I did a freshwater tank I had an undergravel filter with the clear bubble tubes and a stone attached to a pump. Is that still the case today? I can tell you how to do a marine tank but now that my daughter wants a freshwater tank what would be the smartest, simplest way to set this thing up. I have a lot of gear already and may have what it takes. Comments?
Depends on substrate. Also, if you have live plants its a no-no. But the main reason the people around here dont like them is that there is no biological advantage to them like a H.O.B. I would go with an aquaclear or a penguin. JMHO

An underground filter is not necessary as a matter of fact it is really not a good idea. They are nitrate factories. You are better off with a HOB or cannister depending on tank size.

In my experience, undergravel filters are just a big pain...I don't even use it when my 5 gallon is hooked up for fry. Aquaclear seems to be a pretty good brand, and if it's for a smaller gallon tank, Whisper has been my hob of choice. Whisper also has an in-tank filter now, so there's nothing preventing the tank from being flush against the wall.

Just my two cents though.

HOB's or cannister filters are much easier to take care of and keep clean IMO. Now you can find many brands at reasonable pricing.

yeah its true they get pretty nasty, I went to my LFS today and all the tanks had undergravel filters for the first time and i couldn't understand why they would do this

Back
Top Bottom