Is anyone using UV sterilizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newhobbist

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've heard that UV sterilizer is great against green or clowdy water and removes fish parasites. Can anyone who has experience with it give me some feedback. What are pros and cons and how would you compare it with diatom filter?

Here is an article written by LoganJ about UV sterilizers: http://aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=39

I know Travis Simonson uses one, so if he does not spot this thread you can PM him.

A diatom filter will remove very tiny particles, but does not actually kill (or "sterilize") any nasties in the tank like the UV filter. Diatom filters do a great job on green water, but if you are having a recurrent problem with it and can't seem to get to the source, then a UV filter might be a good investment.

I use a UV sterilzer. Coralife Turbo-Twist 12x-36, spliced into the output tubing of my Fluval 404, for my 75 gallon tank.

Best decision I ever made. Since its install I have never had a problem with cloudy water of any sort, algae growth has slowed considerably, the fish seem to do much better overall, and I have far fewer problems with opportunistic infections.

Most people around here would probably shoot me for even mentioning this out loud... but I do not even quarantine new fish anymore. I am not encouraging you to do the same if you end up getting a UV system, but that should tell you how much confidence I have in its performance.

I use one on my qt tanks. makes treatment and qt a breeze. If I could afford more I'd put them on all my tanks. If you can afford them, I would definitley get one.

UV has worked great for me. Keeps the tank extremely clear and the fish are healthy. What more can you ask for?

Asaint

How effective are the aquarium UV sterilizers, and what are the recommended lamp replacement schedules?
The reason I'm asking is because my previous laboratory had a UV unit hooked up to our ultrapure water system. The lamp (which was very expensive) had to be replaced at least once a year. Even though it would still light, its output wattage and wavelength would change over time, rendering it ineffective. The dwell time, or amount of UV exposure, was an engineering concern that was solved by having the system continuously recirculate water though very thin glass capillary tubing wrapped around the UV lamp - I guess that's why the lamp had to be replaced so often.

Fish Surgeon said:
I use a UV sterilzer. Coralife Turbo-Twist 12x-36, spliced into the output tubing of my Fluval 404, for my 75 gallon tank.

Best decision I ever made. Since its install I have never had a problem with cloudy water of any sort, algae growth has slowed considerably, the fish seem to do much better overall, and I have far fewer problems with opportunistic infections.

Most people around here would probably shoot me for even mentioning this out loud... but I do not even quarantine new fish anymore. I am not encouraging you to do the same if you end up getting a UV system, but that should tell you how much confidence I have in its performance.

I have the same setup (except a slightly larger tank) do you run yours 24x7?

How often do you guys run your UVs?

Can someone suggest a good UV for a 55g tank? I don't think I would get one unless my fish get sick, but if they do it would give me a good excuse to spend the money.

I run mine nonstop. The only time I turn it off is if I have to shut the filter off for whatever reason.

I recommend replacing the lamp every six to eight months, though I believe it has a two year lifespan.

I spent several days deciding between UV sterilizer and diatom filter and decided to get the filter (I've just ordered System I Pressure Filter from Big Al's). It appears that both UV sterilizer and diatom filter can wipe brown water and ich out of the tank. Sterilizer can kill some more parasites, but it either has to be connected to the outflow of canister filter, which I don't use (I use Emperor 400 Power Filter), or water pump has to be bought (extra expense). Additionally, UV sterilizer, usually, runs 24/7 and consumes electricity, when diatom filter can be used for only several hours when needed.
I hope the filter will be delivered next Monday-Tuesday. I will post results of its work, though everyone who uses one claimes that the results will be excelent.

A UV sterilizer isnt the end all of killing parasites, but Darn it it has to help. I have a 90 gallon and just picked up the 18watt turbo-twist from coral life. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=7999&inm=1&N=2004+113778+113565 $129.99 + rio pump 600 $12.79
This unit is good up to 250 gal fish tank. I went with the bigger unit for more zapping power against parasites.
The 9 watt unit is suppose to be good to up to 125 gal tanks and alot of people love them. $79.99 at dr foster can use rio 400.

I just ordered one myself, the Coral Life TurboTwist 9 watt for my 55g.

Back
Top Bottom