Is Aquarium Salt Needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO in SMALL amounts it is beneficial. 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons is plenty. It will help prevent your fish from getting diseases such as ich and that is a fact.

This is the quantity your adding salt...correct?

Since when?? Salt has been used to treat ich and it works?

This concentration of salt will have no impact in killing or preventing the ich parasite, you'd need at least 6x that dosage to kill...that's the fact! The high heat is simply to speed up the life cycle of the parasite.

HUKIT said:
This is the quantity your adding salt...correct?

This concentration of salt will have no impact in killing or preventing the ich parasite, you'd need at least 6x that dosage to kill. The high heat is simply to speed up the life cycle of the parasite.

Well obviously if my fish got ich I would add more than that.

Well obviously if my fish got ich I would add more than that.

But by your logic they couldn't get ich since your preventing it, that's your argument. I'm sorry but your wrong in this case, and I think this thread has reached the point about the old saying with regards to a horse and someone's beating it.

Last edited:
Part of me knew that this thread would derail into an argument based upon the merits of using aquarium salts. I've actually learned more this time than the last time this argument came about. In doing my own research I have basically found the following: Freshwater fish have been able to live in freshwater by being able to maintain salinity with in their bodies in spite of being in a freshwater environment. Their internal salinity is not the product of any "aquarium salt" found in the water.

Yes I use aquarium salt everytime I do a water change its totally beneficial!! Don't overanalyze it people its simple : Don't use kitchen salt I use the "jungle aquarium salt" from Walmart... It's good all around it promotes recovery from fish diseases , it reduces stress in fish and not to mention it helps with nitrites ?! It helps me out ALOT when a fin looks weird it fixes it... whoever argues its useless has nothing better to do than start an arbitrary argument ... Those reasons alone are more than enough USE SALT just proper aquarium salt from a pet store.

The only question I really have left is how do you all know that aquarium salt is beneficial to the fish? They can't tell you if they like that salt in their water. Just because you use something for x amount of years and everything works out fine doesn't mean it's doing any good. I could grind up coffee into a fine powder and add it to the tank water and say well I think they like it, it's really making their colors pop. The fact of the matter is that sodium chloride has no place in a freshwater environment just like ground up coffee.

Laser said:
The only question I really have left is how do you all know that aquarium salt is beneficial to the fish? They can't tell you if they like that salt in their water. Just because you use something for x amount of years and everything works out fine doesn't mean it's doing any good. I could grind up coffee into a fine powder and add it to the tank water and say well I think they like it, it's really making their colors pop. The fact of the matter is that sodium chloride has no place in a freshwater environment just like ground up coffee.

I disagree depends on the freshwater fish.

jetajockey said:
Which freshwater fish need sodium chloride in the water?

Need?? Well none really they can live without I guess. But african Cichlids live in low levels. I know for sure my fish are better by me having 1.007 in my tank. They would rub themselves raw almost without it.

Need?? Well none really they can live without I guess. But african Cichlids live in low levels. I know for sure my fish are better by me having 1.007 in my tank. They would rub themselves raw almost without it.

This kinda veers away from the topic but the composition of african cichlid salt supplements as I'm sure you know involves a lot more than basic aquarium salt.

Seachem. Cichlid Lake Salt

I agree that there is a special case to be made for rift lake species because of their origins, but I wouldn't recommend someone start dumping aquarium salt in their new african tank rather than using the proper kind to help recreate their native water.

jetajockey said:
This kinda veers away from the topic but the composition of african cichlid salt supplements as I'm sure you know involves a lot more than basic aquarium salt.

I agree that there is a special case to be made for rift lake species because of their origins, but I wouldn't recommend someone start dumping aquarium salt in their new african tank rather than using the proper kind to help recreate their native water.

I don't use what your showing and I know others don't aswell. I use api salt and Epson salt witch doesn't count here that's it.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/water_chemistry.php

I thought this was about freshwater fish in general. I was just answering the question "how do people know" on my first comment. Sorry I came in kinda late but I did read threw most of the thread. But I can see how some do and some don't and the argument otherwise. Heck api puts it on the salt box " use at every water change" kinda mis leading

Last edited:
jetajockey said:

Dumping? I think most people use small amounts. I agree adding large amounts is harmful to your fish.

Salt in Freshwater Tanks

Interesting info. I've used a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt for every 5 gallons of my new water, in my "Livebearer" tanks for several years, with good results. No fish illness or anything like that in my tanks.

Traces of sodium chloride are in most freshwater sources. Many sources have no more than 3 ppm. That means in a million parts, only 3 have salt. But, this mineral surrounds all living cells and helps muscles work. So, there's some reason for using it.

I keep several different species of Corydoras, a salt sensative fish and they're fine with a little added to my water change water. I avoid table salt, because of the additives, but you can use Kosher salt or commercial canning salt.

A teaspoon won't harm your plants. All my tanks are heavily planted with both aquatic and land plants, both grow well.

We use it in large amounts to treat our fish when they're sick, so it makes good sense to me to use a little routinely, so I might avoid using a lot later.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

BBradbury said:
Interesting info. I've used a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt for every 5 gallons of my new water, in my "Livebearer" tanks for several years, with good results. No fish illness or anything like that in my tanks.

Traces of sodium chloride are in most freshwater sources. Many sources have no more than 3 ppm. That means in a million parts, only 3 have salt. But, this mineral surrounds all living cells and helps muscles work. So, there's some reason for using it.

I keep several different species of Corydoras, a salt sensative fish and they're fine with a little added to my water change water. I avoid table salt, because of the additives, but you can use Kosher salt or commercial canning salt.

A teaspoon won't harm your plants. All my tanks are heavily planted with both aquatic and land plants, both grow well.

We use it in large amounts to treat our fish when they're sick, so it makes good sense to me to use a little routinely, so I might avoid using a lot later.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

I agree with you. My plants and guppies are fine with small amounts of salt.

I'm gonna start using salt, so I'll get back to y'all in a couple weeks with my opinion about salt.

Yes I use aquarium salt everytime I do a water change its totally beneficial!! Don't overanalyze it people its simple : Don't use kitchen salt I use the "jungle aquarium salt" from Walmart... just proper aquarium salt from a pet store.

As shown beyond a shadow of a doubt within the MSDS of a "proper" aquarium salt, it is nothing more than Sodium Chloride - the same stuff you can purchase in bulk at the grocery store. "proper" aquarium salt is a money making scheme.

The only question I really have left is how do you all know that aquarium salt is beneficial to the fish?

I've been asking that for a long time here, never have I gotten a straight answer...

A standard US teaspoon of salt weighs approximately 6g, so you are adding salt to your aquarium at approximately 1.58g/L = or a level of 1580PPM. This level vastly overshoots the "normal" 3ppm level you assert.

Again, physiology of freshwater fish disagrees with you. Freshwater fish have evolved over millions of years to be able to osmoregulate and maintain internal osmolity in solutions containing near zero dissolved sodium chloride - they do need extra added to help them function.

As shown beyond a shadow of a doubt within the MSDS of a "proper" aquarium salt, it is nothing more than Sodium Chloride - the same stuff you can purchase in bulk at the grocery store. "proper" aquarium salt is a money making scheme.

I've been asking that for a long time here, never have I gotten a straight answer...

A standard US teaspoon of salt weighs approximately 6g, so you are adding salt to your aquarium at approximately 1.58g/L = or a level of 1580PPM. This level vastly overshoots the "normal" 3ppm level you assert.

Again, physiology of freshwater fish disagrees with you. Freshwater fish have evolved over millions of years to be able to osmoregulate and maintain internal osmolity in solutions containing near zero dissolved sodium chloride - they do need extra added to help them function.

Lol it's not the same dude what are you talking about? Iodized kitchen salt is different and has added chemicals try adding aquarium salt to your steak and potatoes And then use ur regular kitchen salt ?? Have poured kitchen salt in a tank? Turns into a huge mushroom cloud of white aquarium salt drops drown clean and sits and dissolves....lol if your Guys dislike aquarium salt don't use it period so how beneficial not using it all will do end of argument. USE salt ;) save ur fishes life :)

Lt. said:
I'm gonna start using salt, so I'll get back to y'all in a couple weeks with my opinion about salt.

How much do you plan on using?

Are you arguing for or against it?

A typo on my behalf, I apologize. They do NOT need extra added.

Lol it's not the same dude what are you talking about? Iodized kitchen salt is different and has added chemicals try adding aquarium salt to your steak and potatoes And then use ur regular kitchen salt ?? Have poured kitchen salt in a tank? Turns into a huge mushroom cloud of white aquarium salt drops drown clean and sits and dissolves....lol if your Guys dislike aquarium salt don't use it period so how beneficial not using it all will do end of argument. USE salt ;) save ur fishes life :)

Once again, I do not understand how people can blatantly ignore things that are without a doubt facts with proper empirical backing.

Aquarium salt MSDS - shows contents as 100% Sodium Chloride/NaCll -

http://cms.marsfishcare.com/files/msds/aquarium_salt_122309.pdf

Morton Canning Salt - 100% Sodium Chloride/NaCal

http://www.easternct.edu/ehs/documents/Morton_table_salt.pdf

Even iodized table salt is 99.0%+ NaCl - and the other ingredients are either non-toxic, or of such small quantity as to not be of metabolic concern.

http://apps.risd.edu/envirohealth_msds/Textiles/iodizedsalt.pdf

Aquarium salt is exactly, nothing more, and nothing less, than Sodium Chloride crystals - the same exact contents as any un-iodized, rock, canning, etc. salt you can purchase at a grocery store.

As to "table salt" clouding when added into an aquarium, it is recommended and proper procedure to always pre-dissolve any solids before addition to the aquarium - especially caustic ions such as salts. If you are adding any type of salt directly into the aquarium water, you risk causing surface burns on any of its inhabitants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom