Is Bologna poison to fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fiddlesticks

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, this is my first post so bare with me. Here's the deal, I have an Albino Claw Frog. I had run out of guppies to feed her, and decided to feed her a few tiny peices of bologna. She ate them, but there was some left over and my Plecostoma was eating it. I went to work, and when I came back the Plecostoma was dead. I also have a Red Tailed Shark, and it's not doing too good. The Goldfish I have are fine though. Nothing wrong with them. I feel really bad, and I think I sent my tank to doom. Can anyone help me with advice?
-Matt

The additives, nitrites, fats, etc in the bologna are sure not good for fish....it is possible that at least contributed to, if not caused your fish's death.

Thanks for the reply. I just checked the tank a few mins ago, and the shark died. His body turned like a white color that wasn't there when he was alive. The Pleco had it too, but it was just one little spot. I'm concerned for the rest of my tank. I still have 4 Goldfish and the Frog, and they seem to be doing fine. No swimming irregularities or anything. I did a 1/2 water change. I thought maybe that would help. I'm wondering how this is going to affect my frog, since she ate the most of it. She seems to be doing fine though. It puzzles me. I feel so bad. It was my fault, but I had no idea. :(

one word: processed. who knows what they put in that stuff. when buying veggies for my fish i even go as far as getting organic stuff just so i'm sure they're is nothing bad in it.
don't mean to make you feel bad... it sounds like you did what you thought was best for your fish, i'm sure i would have done the same if i didn't know any better. sorry for your losses. -chris

Healthwise, bologna is probably the worst of the processed lunchmeats. I wouldn't even recommend it for human consumption; better to stick with ham or turkey.:wink:

However, I seriously doubt that the bologna had anything to do with your mysterious deaths. More likely, your water is polluted with waste from the four goldfish. Goldfish produce ALOT of waste for their size; at least 10 gallons per goldfish is recommended. Plecos and red tail sharks also have the potential to get big.

Have you checked your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels recently?

It's a 30 gallon tank, and I clean it every week. One of my Goldfish is enormous, so she probably puts out most of the waste. My Pleco and Shark were pretty big too. I was actually thinking about giving the shark away, cause it was mean. I decided I'm gonna take the Frog out and, put her in a different tank. I'm gonna give away some of the Goldfish too. Maybe get some cooler fish. Thanks everybody for your help. You made a newb happy. :)

Goldfish need cold water and four goldfish should have 40 gallons to themselves. Albino clawed frogs also get huge and will definately outgrow most tanks. The fish you have are better off now that the trops have died.
The oils in the bologna probably did kill the fish. There's some pretty strong stuff used to preserve bologna. You would have been best off just letting your frog fast for a day or two.

i also have a albino clawed frog, but they dont outgrow most tanks depot, they get 5" max

mine now has a 20g to himself with a snail, as no other frog seems to survive with him

i keep frozen blood worms and brine shrimp for him, you might want to keep a pack handy incase you run out of feeders again

Back
Top Bottom