Is it me or the fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Writingwoman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
The last time I had any fish I was in elementary school, I am in college now, and I had my tank all set up filled with spring water let it set for a couple a days to cycle through with the filters and get up to the proper temperature that I needed, around seventy five degrees. Everything seemed fine so over the weekend, Saturday to be specific, I went to my local petsmart and bought my fish. I bought two albino cory catfish, a mystery snail, a male crowntail betta and seven guppies. The guy at the store said they were all compatible. When I got home I set the bags in the water one at a time for thirty minutes to an hour before putting the fish into the tank itself. As the weekend progressed my guppies started to die. I thought I had gotten bad fish but then I started to notice that their fins were chewed up so I watched and saw my betta messing with them. Yesterday, I lost all my guppies, and the betta was swimming around along with the catfish, seeming all proud of himself. Though I did notice some loose scales I think and his fins were a tiny bit chewed up. This morning I woke up and he was dead. Now the only thing I have alive are my two albino cory catsfish and the snail.

So my question is did my fish die because I put the wrong fish together and they killed each other or could there possibly be something wrong with my water that I need to fix? thank you all for your time.

Sounds to me like your tank isn't cycled, look up fish in cycling because that is what you are doing right now. 2 days just isn't long enough to cycle a tank. Also, invest in your own liquid test kit. I recommend the API Freshwater Master Liquid Test Kit, $30 that are definitely worth it. Don't ever trust a Petwhatever to test your water. The want to make money, not test your water. Don't get the test strips, they are inaccurate and don't work well. Check out this link for more info on fish in cycling: Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Oh yeah, you're tank was way over stocked. Cory's are pretty hardy and I hope they make it through for you. Once you have the cycling figured out, we can help you with proper tank stocking :)

Sorry, but what size tank is this?

We also definitely need to know the water parameters such as ammonia and nitrite.

If it were ammonia poisoning, you would have very likely lost the corys first. Signs point to the betta being the culprit firstly. However, unless youre testing and changing water regularly it would have quickly turned into an ammonia issue instead.

I concur with above, the tank turned toxic as it apparently was not cycled. Also fish from, "Pet WhatEver," is risky at best.

My advice, read up on and cycle the tank. When you're ready purchase fish on-line like aquabid, consolidated fiah farm, etc.

The last time I had any fish I was in elementary school, I am in college now, and I had my tank all set up filled with spring water let it set for a couple a days to cycle through with the filters and get up to the proper temperature that I needed, around seventy five degrees. Everything seemed fine so over the weekend, Saturday to be specific, I went to my local petsmart and bought my fish. I bought two albino cory catfish, a mystery snail, a male crowntail betta and seven guppies. The guy at the store said they were all compatible. When I got home I set the bags in the water one at a time for thirty minutes to an hour before putting the fish into the tank itself. As the weekend progressed my guppies started to die. I thought I had gotten bad fish but then I started to notice that their fins were chewed up so I watched and saw my betta messing with them. Yesterday, I lost all my guppies, and the betta was swimming around along with the catfish, seeming all proud of himself. Though I did notice some loose scales I think and his fins were a tiny bit chewed up. This morning I woke up and he was dead. Now the only thing I have alive are my two albino cory catsfish and the snail.

So my question is did my fish die because I put the wrong fish together and they killed each other or could there possibly be something wrong with my water that I need to fix? thank you all for your time.

Hi. Very sorry that your step into this fascinating hobby (obsession) had not gone well. You had bad advice from people who make money out of fish failure.
You should research cycling a tank. Cycle you tank using a liquid test kit to check the progress. Also check Kh and Gh (a separate test kit is normally required) as these parameters also affect your choice of fish and the ability of your water to hold a steady Ph, essential for the well being of your fish.
When you're confident the tank is ready come back to the forum with your tank size, temp, Ph , Kh and Gh and your preferred fish species and you will get a lot of unbiased help and advice.
As you still have live fish then fish in cycling may be only option but if you unfortunately lose the fish then I would strongly advise doing a fish less cycle. Any mistakes doing a fish less cycle only delays your cycling and obviously doesn't harm any fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I agree with what has been said before me. The test kit is one of the best investments you will ever make in this hobby. I use the API Freshwater Master kit. I think it was like 24.99 at petwhatever. And yeah don't listen to anything they tell you. When I go (sometimes it is necessary) and I see people who are new to fish keeping looking around oblivious to everything because of ignorance, I like to help them with like choice of heater/filter/food ect. Petwhatever apparently doesn't like that as they have threatened to kick me out of the store which I found humorous. Also don't get sold on the inch per gallon rule. You can't stick a 10 in Oscar in a ten gallon.

Back
Top Bottom