Is it unethical to return fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You really may want to give them some time. When I first received my congos I was so disappointed you could not even tell what kind of fish they were supposed to be. Completely colorless over the period of several months they have grown to be large BEAUTIFUL fish, you said they are still young it's probably too soon to even determine sex just by their colors, it really does take them s while to mature.

Really? Oh then I'll keep them, they're about 2 inches long or less at the moment. I did think it strange that everywhere I looked on google said they were gorgeous fish, when mine are probably the dullest I've ever seen. Thanks wiggles :)

I just took my 6" pictus cat Spike to my FAVORITE LFS and they promised to give him a good home. He went in a tank with 6 other pictus so he was with his own kind. I cried all day ;(
They know me there and know I love little catfish and they gave me free USD cat that a girl brought in and ordered me other fish I've always wanted

I just took my 6" pictus cat Spike to my FAVORITE LFS and they promised to give him a good home. He went in a tank with 6 other pictus so he was with his own kind. I cried all day ;(
They know me there and know I love little catfish and they gave me free USD cat that a girl brought in and ordered me other fish I've always wanted

I feel your pain! I just returned my pearl gourami I had for a year and I was devastated, i made sure I got everything I needed so I don't have to go back for a while :)

I think I'm going to have no choice but to return either my congos or danios, lost a congo yesterday then found another 2 were missing a lot of their fins. If I can work out which species is doing it they'll be getting returned. Google suggests they're both fin nippers though so could be a tough decision :-/

I think I'm going to have no choice but to return either my congos or danios, lost a congo yesterday then found another 2 were missing a lot of their fins. If I can work out which species is doing it they'll be getting returned. Google suggests they're both fin nippers though so could be a tough decision :-/

Sorry to hear that. In my experience it was the danios. Mine harassed and fin nipped 2 of their own while I wasn't home. It was so bad fins were totally gone on their tails. Both eventually died in a hospital tank.

Thanks, I feel a bit mean taking them back when they've settled in just because of their colour, I might just leave them and try and find some new tank mates that are more colourful.

I'd love bosemani rainbows but think my tanks too small (43 us gallons). Possibly neon dwarf rainbow fish. I'm definitely gonna finish my stocking with a pair of peacock gudgeons. Will that final stocklist make my tank look more colourful or am I likely to still regret the congos?

I think you'll be ok with the rainbows in the tank I have 2 in my 37 gal so like I said I bet you'll be just fine

I figured it was more likely to be the danios, they're quite boisterous and none if them are showing any signs of stress. Gutted though, I've had them since may and it's the longest I've had any fish!

Re the bosemanis- I thought they were best kept in groups of 6? If I'm mistaken then I'd be really excited to get some!

I thought about this same thing, ethical? unethical?...My dilemma is as follows: I only bought neon tetras because I was informed that they were a tight schooling fish.....hmmmm...well I have had my 6 for well over 3 months and all they do is wait/hide till feeding time then whaaahlaahhhhhaaa what do you know they are up at the top getting all they can get......I have yet to see them school they shoal not school.....so since they do not do what I expected and I do not see them till feeding time hrmmmmm what do I do?

Edit: 20H, planted, tankmates are 1 sunset gourami, 1 platy, 3 minnows, 7 ghost shrimp, 2 otos, 3 male guppies

I thought about this same thing, ethical? unethical?...My dilemma is as follows: I only bought neon tetras because I was informed that they were a tight schooling fish.....hmmmm...well I have had my 6 for well over 3 months and all they do is wait/hide till feeding time then whaaahlaahhhhhaaa what do you know they are up at the top getting all they can get......I have yet to see them school they shoal not school.....so since they do not do what I expected and I do not see them till feeding time hrmmmmm what do I do?

Edit: 20H, planted, tankmates are 1 sunset gourami, 1 platy, 3 minnows, 7 ghost shrimp, 2 otos, 3 male guppies

I have 6 gold tetras that behaved the same way. Hide, eat, squabble, then hide. This is in a 20G planted tank. Then I bought 6 longfin blue danios to serve as dither fish and now the tetras are very social. Sure I'd love to have more colorful fish (both have muted colors) but the danios bring life to the tank and the tetras have been with me for about 4 years now. They even spent a summer in a small garden pond because I had to put them somewhere after all the other fish died due to a fungal outbreak (fished them out in October when the temps dropped into the 50s). I'm a bit attached to them now.

i was wondering the same thing. i almost bought another small tank just to remove the two fish i didtn want from my big tank. :oops: so you people just saved me some $$$$$. :thanks:

I know how you feel. I had an amazing balloon Molly that was always excited to see me but she started bullying so I took her back... I still miss that little brat!/:

Found a neighbour with an old tank, he's taken the danios off me. Surprisingly I don't feel bothered that they've gone, maybe cos I hate bullies!

Now to think about my stocking list all over again!

I know it might not be a nice thing to say, but I don't get too attached to my fish. I would never do them harm, and I give them the best care I can, but I'm not nearly as attached to them as I am my birds.

I have re-homed two albino cory catfish. I had them a few weeks and didn't care for them. I also also given away tons of snails.

I don't see any problem with it, really. I've been talked into a fish that I later regretted, so I just need to be more careful when I'm at the LFS.

Yeah you should hold onto them. I was like you at first now you wouldn't believe they are the same fish.

Wiggles you were so right! Bought 2 more congos yesterday to fill out the group again and the new additions are stunning!! I'm so glad you posted, I can't wait for my other ones to mature now :-D

I know it might not be a nice thing to say, but I don't get too attached to my fish. I would never do them harm, and I give them the best care I can, but I'm not nearly as attached to them as I am my birds.

I have re-homed two albino cory catfish. I had them a few weeks and didn't care for them. I also also given away tons of snails.

I don't see any problem with it, really. I've been talked into a fish that I later regretted, so I just need to be more careful when I'm at the LFS.

I have always been the same way. Except with the brown knife I just bought. Already attached after 3 days lol

Back
Top Bottom