Is my current too strong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blakskall

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought my first fish today a pair of ocellaris clownfish, and it looks like there having trouble swimming against the current, i have a 30 gallon long tank, with a maxi jet 400 on one end and a petco circulator pump on the other end

That may be a bit too much. Clowns aren't generally the most efficient swimmers. If it seems like a genuine struggle it may be a problem and stressing them out. However, if it's just kind of doing the worm but still moving it may be okay. But that may be a bit too much flow for them. Iv seen clowns deal with a lot of flow, so it really depends on everything.

Well i unplugged the circulator pump so now its just running off of the maxi jet 400 and watever current my filter puts out, just hope the water still circulates nicely...

It should. Mine is circulating using the skimmer and filter, and I have some bottom dwelling fish that help. I did have a really powerful power head in there before, but similar to your problem, there was just too much flow. My chromis wouldn't go near that side, my feather duster was being pummeled, and lots of other stuff. My sixline wrasse seemed to be the only one who didn't mind it that much.

Back
Top Bottom