Is my cycle done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I sure hope so I've only had hardy fish in the past danios, ch algae eaters, betas. I've treated myself to some zebra plecos not true ones though they are more gold than white. A Farowela cat fish some glass fish and some ghost shrimp. Which are sitting in a cooler with a heater, airstone and filter cuz I though my tank would be cycled by the time I got back from the city. I was gone for 5 days and got my fish there it's 6 hors away and they are still in the cooler. I hope my cycles done soon I'm scared I'm gonna loose the sensitive ones.

Wait a second here- you have fish sitting in cooler waiting to go into this tank?? If this is the case, start changing the water in this tank ASAP! Atleast one or two 100% water changes to drop your numbers all to zero (or whatever ur tap reads). Then start drip acclimating your fish to your tank water so you can add them to the tank. You will just need to be vigilant on your daily tests & water changes until your tank is fully cycled. Get to work because these guys are not going to last in a cooler very long.

They actually seem quite content in the cooler one of my ghost shrimp have even had babies a they are ever doing well in a breeder trap. I do 30% wc everyday and suck up any uneaten food and poo. I add some cycle product daily also, but yes I'm eager to get them in my new tank. But not till it's perfect, I have other tanks I could divide them into if I see there declining. They do actually seem well its a large cooler.

I just put the recommend amount of ammonia from the calculator to make 4 ppm as well

So wait 24 h to see if it's at 0 then do another 100% wc? Then I'm ready? Can you explain the drip acclimation method you spoke of before?

Yes, we are looking for all zeroes from 4ppm of ammonia. I honestly would prefer to see zeroes steadily for a couple of days but I think its way more important to get these guys moved out of the cooler! As long as you are monitoring the tank daily after adding fish, you should be fine though. Newly cycled tanks can have fluctuations- you may need to do some water changes to keep things in check if you see any spikes.

You can check out U-Tube for easy how-to videos on drip acclimation. If you still have questions, let us know & we can help! :)

Do I still need to do the huge water change when I just did one the other day and my parameters are good?

Your ammonia is going to be converted to nitrate- you want your nitrate levels as low as your tap level before adding the new fish. Ammonia & nitrite should also be zero- if they havent zeroed & you want to add fish, you will need to drop these to zero as well. Your going to have to do some type of water change before adding fish even though you may have done one the other day because you have added ammonia since the water change. :)

Ya lol your right the ammonia converted to nitrate the levels are still only the lowest on the test other than 0, so how much of a wc do I need to do? My ammonia converted in about 10 h.

Ya lol your right the ammonia converted to nitrate the levels are still only the lowest on the test other than 0, so how much of a wc do I need to do? My ammonia converted in about 10 h.

Just test nitrate (make sure you shake and bang both bottles for 30 seconds, add the drops to the tube, shake vigorously for 60 seconds, then wait 5 minutes for the reading). You ideally want nitrates as low as you can get them before you put fish in (<5 is ideal), so depending on how high they are that will depend on what size water change you should do. Also read up on drip acclimation if you haven't already (youtube has some good videos).

Aren't the fish just gonna produce ammonia that will be converted to nitrate as well, so isn't there always going to be trace amounts of it in there any way?

My nitrate is at 40 and trite is 1, i though that there isn't allowed to be any nitrites in the tank

My ph is 6.5 too low IMO but we don't have any of the crushed shell or coral stuff in my town

Well, with nitrites of 1, either you need to wait for them to zero or do water changes to zero them. Nitrates of 40 will need to be dropped down to your tap level before adding fish. You mentioned having other tanks- is the ph 6.5 in these tanks as well or a higher number? If everything is 6.5, then don't worry. If they are higher, then a big water change will help increase ph as well.

Is a big water change going to solve the nitrite issue permanently or is it just temperary?

For right now, its a temporary solution. I do not know the exact bioload your fish carry. If its signifigantly less than the ammonia you have been dosing, your tank may be able to handle processing the ammonia fully to nitrate without seeing any nitrite spikes. Your nitrite>nitrate bacteria are not fully established quite yet to handle a full dose of ammonia. Hopefully, they are established enough to be able to handle the bioload of your fish- we wont know until you add them.

I put 6 fish in a paraguard bath and they all died!!! I used the dosage info on the bottle what the heck happened!!!

Can I ask why you put fish in the para guard bath? I'm not sure of the ingredients in this product but I suspect you either overdosed or they were sensitive fish that could not handle the chemicals in the product.

They were fish given to me from my friend so I didn't wanna take any chances with my own fish getting something, I used 3ml per gallon for 1 hour 6 died ( danios and minnows) and my guppy looks very good. I don't get it :(

Back
Top Bottom