Is my fish okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anonymous

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 2 year old dwarf gourami has been less active for a few months. He has been like this since his tankmate died so he might be depressed. He has gotten very skinny, lost most of his color, and only eats what is left on the bottom of the tank. I feel bad for him and I don't know what is going on.

Attachments

• IMG_20190429_165410.jpg
    IMG_20190429_165410.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 62
Sounds like he may have whatever killed your other Gourami. His fins aren't in very good condition. His color doesn't look good either

His partner was healthy and got stuck under a decoration, I think the fins and discoloration are caused from depression.

Well I don't know if I'm entirely sold on fish depression until sickness and death or if it's even a real thing. On the information you've provided so far I'd say your fish is in bad shape because it was bullied and stressed. Once sickness/disease sets in then it's a matter of trying to reverse it. Removing the bully fish for starters. Treating him for the fin damage/rot. His skin also looks cloudy white similar to Columnaris but a better picture would help to confirm things.

Well I don't know if I'm entirely sold on fish depression until sickness and death or if it's even a real thing. On the information you've provided so far I'd say your fish is in bad shape because it was bullied and stressed. Once sickness/disease sets in then it's a matter of trying to reverse it. Removing the bully fish for starters. Treating him for the fin damage/rot. His skin also looks cloudy white similar to Columnaris but a better picture would help to confirm things.
Ok, thank you. I put him in a separate tank until he was nursed back to health. He's happy and eating. Now that he's healthy, the his partner respects him. He looks like this now.IMG_20190507_184107.jpg

To anyone who was involved in this conversation, I am sad to say that Finly, the dwarf gourami in the pictures, died. He was healthy and lived a full life of 2 years. Thank you so much for helping me make his last few days good for him. I saw his partner stay with him until he passed so at least he was happy.

Thank you for your help and may he rest in peace.
20181205_194223.jpg

Back
Top Bottom