Is my snail dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasina

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had this Rabbit snail for a week. He was doing great, mowing down my plants and moving all over the tank. Really a neat snail. He is in a totally cycled tank, 20 g, planted. No fish are bothering him, my nerita snails are doing beautifully. I read that if you think the snail is dead, pull him out of his shell and smell him. I don't think so!!! Got to be another way???

For about 6-7 hours. I used the net and rolled him over like on the back of the shell, and I don't know if it was him, the water current, or their air bladder. The light is off, which I know he likes. There is an algae wafer right near him trying to entice him.

I keep rabbit snails, the mum that I have can sit in the same spot for a long time, I,ve seen her sleeping for a couple of days without movement these guy's can be pretty lazy lol your right the sniff test is the only way to be sure :)

Thank you ever so much!! I was so devastated at just the thought of losing him/her. I got up three times last night worried over it! You breed them? How do you tell between male and female? I would so love to do that. I have so many friends that would love them. I understand that they only have one at a time? ThANK YOU!!!

OH!! It is moving!! Finally at 3 am it started moving. So it was immobile for approx. 10 hours. YEAH~

Thank you ever so much!! I was so devastated at just the thought of losing him/her. I got up three times last night worried over it! You breed them? How do you tell between male and female? I would so love to do that. I have so many friends that would love them. I understand that they only have one at a time? ThANK YOU!!!

OH!! It is moving!! Finally at 3 am it started moving. So it was immobile for approx. 10 hours. YEAH~

That's great! You can't tell which is a boy or girl its just luck lol I, ve had a few babies my LFS took them for there display tank. They're great snails too have.

So glad to hear...I have had my snails sit for several days at a time, each time I have been worried, the next time I look they are in a different spot.

Back
Top Bottom