Is my tank overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swp Phillies Fan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 37g tank. Lightly planted. Well established. I have 1 6" sailfin Pleco, 2 1"-1 1/2" tiger barbs, 2 1" green barbs, and 3 1 1/2" opaline gouramis. Just added the 2 green barbs and 1 more gourami. Just want some opinions on if that's the most I should put in, or if it's overstocked, or if I could add more

Edit. Forgot I also have 2 small rainbow sharks

Your tank is definately not overstocked. I would recommend adding a school of 8-10 tetras of some sort such as neon or rumnynose or adding a school of 6 dwarf rainbows. These are not all you options you could also up your schools of barbs or add more bottom feeders. I recommend that you go see what your lfs has and see what you like. THen come here and we can tell you what will work and what won't.

Swp Phillies Fan said:
I have a 37g tank. Lightly planted. Well established. I have 1 6" sailfin Pleco, 2 1"-1 1/2" tiger barbs, 2 1" green barbs, and 3 1 1/2" opaline gouramis. Just added the 2 green barbs and 1 more gourami. Just want some opinions on if that's the most I should put in, or if it's overstocked, or if I could add more

Edit. Forgot I also have 2 small rainbow sharks

For the stock you have, yes, it is overstocked.
Sailfin plecos can reach 2 foot long.
Tiger barbs (including green barbs) need schools of 6 or more. 8 or more being ideal. They can be very nippy so watch them very closely with the fins of the gouramis.
Opaline gouramis are territorial. As they mature expect disputes. You may even need to separate them.
Rainbow sharks are highly aggressive against their own kind. Also 37g is too small for even one. They need at least 55g.
I'd suggest rehoming the two sharks and pleco and upping the school of barbs.

I do agree with mumma, overstocked. The sail fin pleco will need a larger tank for sure I would consider switching it for a couple bristlenose, clown or another small species of pleco. Sorry, I don't have direct experience with barbs or rainbows but I do know that rainbows need a large home.

Rehomeing is not an option. I've had the Pleco for over a year and he's doing just fine. I do plan on getting a 75g tank in the future. Just right now it's not an option. I do frequent water changes and get my water checked every week.

Rainbows for one need at least a twenty gallon long. And they get aggressive as they get bigger. So you may run into problems there. The pleco I would rehome or take to an lfs that would either take him in or trade. I just took a huge common pleco out of a 55 gallon because he was too big and it wasn't right.

Rehomeing is not an option. I've had the Pleco for over a year and he's doing just fine. I do plan on getting a 75g tank in the future. Just right now it's not an option. I do frequent water changes and get my water checked every week.

Yah your pleco will be happy in a 75g. :D I don't have experience with rainbows and not sure if 2 would be ok in a 75, maybe if it was heavily planted.

Back
Top Bottom