Is my tank too crowded for 1 more member?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolkidthatlike

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi, i have a 20 gal. tropical tank with the following in it.
-6 tiger barbs (3 albino, 3 regular)
-2 swordtails
-2 clown loaches
-2 pictus cats
-1 pleco

I was wondering if i have enough room to add 1 rainbow shark. I like them a lot. any opinions would be appreciated

Are you planning to get a new tank soon? If so, you might be OK. Especially with the Clown Loaches in there, you are probably past the limit of what will be comfortable in the tank. I really wanted some Clown Loaches myself, but many people said I needed at LEAST a 55g to put them in.

Getting new fish is always fun, and it is all too easy to overstock a tank (like I did). I put too many fish in my 10g and it has been a nightmare trying to keep the fish alive. I bought the 26g tank so I can move the Gouramis and Tetras out of the 10g tank.

NO. the short answer. The long explanation is: You need a minimum of 55 for what you have already (fully grown). Could probable add that shark to that.

That pleco alone will grow to 2 feet in length unless it is a dwarf variety. I know they look so small in the store but they can grow pretty fast. And clown loaches generally need 3 or more in a group and can get 8 inches in length and really big.\

That shark would not mix with the other fish and will itself get far too big for a 20 gallon tank

Those Pictus Cats get rather large too (10" I think). The Clown Loaches, Pleco & Pictus Cats will all require a larger tank fairly soon. That Rainbow also gets kinda big. IMHO I'd start thinking about getting a bigger tank within the next year if you intend to keep those beauties long term. :wink:

well thanks for the advice guys. I know i have to do what is best for the tank, instead of what i would like in there. As far as the pleco goes, i am going to trade him in for store credit at my lfs once he gets to big. Then I will stick with what I have. About the loaches needing 3 or more, is that required, because mine are doing pretty good. [/list]

I wouldn't say its "required". Its a decision for you to make. They do seem to be happier in larger groups but if yours appear happy as is then I wouldn't worry about it much considering your space restrictions. :)

Back
Top Bottom