Is My Water Good Enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

If there's fish in this water then I conclude the cycle is established.

If it's a new empty tank, then it's normal you get thoses values.

If it's water from the tap, then it's good tap water for ammonia and nitrites.

THe thing you must know from your tap is KH and GH. You can also give TDS test to the tap, this will give final review of your tap water quality. Mine is 130ppm, it's good.

What about nitrates ?

My API liquid test always give me 0 reading for nitrites, even if I know there was nitrites in my tank (While cycling process)

I think you alone are responsible for the successful setup of this tank... ??

Some folks get tank problems because of their tap. So the hobby cost more $$ to compensate bad tap water quality...

Water Tests

Hello CC..

The color looks good to me. Apparently, the water chemistry is fine. I've noticed something interesting about my tanks. They're larger and have been running for several years. If I change half the water in them at least every 2 weeks, I don't have to test it. The tanks are heavily stocked and planted. Apparently, the combination of plants, both land and aquatic and large, regular water changes keeps the wastes from ever building up in the water. I haven't tested the tank water in the tanks in a long time. Keep up on the water changes.

B

My tank is established and I do 50% water change every 4 weeks or a 25% water change every two weeks. Either are good for an established tank it's just what suits you.

Some of you are mad, I do 10-15% a week and about 40-50% on the forth week

Depend of your stocking... If you have overstocked tank like mine you need bigger waterchanges. Anyway I dose ferts for plants and I dose with the "Estimative Index Dosing". So 50%WC are required once a week.

Yea I'm not heavily stocked and I don't advise anyone to be, it probably works out cheaper in the long run to take on a second tank

Ok then... On a new subject of stocking.

I have 9 Neons in a separate tank, I'm going to be moving them to my main tank when they grow up a bit.

How should go about this one?

Move all 9 at once and just hope the water doesn't get screwed?

Or

Move 4, wait a while then move the other 5?

Do you have NitrAtes?
We still don't actually know if your tank is cycled, so it's hard to give a proper recommendation. More details are needed :)

Do you have the nitrate test? You showed some API vials at the beginning, do you have the master test kit?

If you don't think it's cycled, it probably isn't. You need to start at the very beginning. Do not put neons in the tank, they are not cycling fish.
If your tank is empty you can cycle fishlessly.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ou-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html

We are happy to help you but right now I'm not sure what we are diagnosing, help us out a bit

It's a 160l (35g) tank.

It's been going about 3 weeks.

We got impatient and added a Swordtail, 2 Cherry Barbs and 2 Platys last week.

Had a slight ammonia spike but it's been dealt with and it's fine right now.

We've never had a Nitrate test kit or had it tested by the shop.

I know it shouldn't have fish in it right now but nothing bad's happened so far so I've got no plans to change anything.

Any specifics needed about anything?

I would move all the neons in at once, but I would not move them in until you are confident the tank is cycled. If you've only had fish for a week it's probably just getting started, unless you seeded the tank with media from a mature tank.

Back
Top Bottom