is my yellow tail damsel killing my fish???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulweck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i woke up this morning and noticed my Auriga Butterflyfish not looking so good his tail was kinda jacked up and he had this red spot. so i look a lil closer and start seeing my damsel attacking it my auriga started floating on his side and looking like he is gonna die soon so i quickly set up my qt tank with live rock from my dt and some filter media.

Ive had the auriga for about a month and a half and hes been doing fine hes eating well playing well with my clowns and would even let me hand feed him. all my levels are fine i have some saltwater making so i check my levels everything checked out ok my trates were at about 15ppm so i also did a pwc.

This is the second fish i lost in the past month and i feel its all due to stress

so i question is even tho my damsel is the smallest fish in the tank can he harass my fish to death? im just so puzzled on how lost these fish

Damsels are the devil. Those suckers tore a hole in my clown trigger and countless other fish.

It's possible for them to kill fish. With the presence of nitrates and added stress from the harassment of the damsel, it's very possible for the victim's immune system to become compromised and succumb to a bacterial infection or even trauma.

I hope so because Im sick of losing fish this would be the third fish I lost in since setting up the tank and its really breaking me. I will be taking him out tomorrow when I transfer my tank over so I hope taking him out will solve this bad streak of losing my new friends

In my LFS there is a tank with fish that people have returned and its full of damsels, who oddly enough seem to getting along pretty well.

That's funny. This was the first fish that went into the tank and its strange he don't mess with my 2 clowns but out of the total 6 fish I had he killed them all but my clowns thank god I would be really mad if I lost them. Now the only question is what to do with him the place I bought him burnt down so I can't take him back maybe my 20 gallon qt tank can be his new home and get a smaller 10 gallon for future qt tank

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom