Is this aptasia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chirp

Aquarium Advice Activist
Found this under one of my rocks

image-3924386247.jpg

Attachments

• image-4292306539.jpg
    image-4292306539.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 166
  • image-2434396396.jpg
    image-2434396396.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 184
If you can take the rock out you can use a lighter. I did that with one of my rocks. The others got the X!!

Good luck.

Thanks for the confirmation guys. I took the rock out and sprayed the menace with a hot water. It melted away. Then I found several small snails on it.

I got this rock and coral from a new fish store. The price was good and they seemed ok. I guess I should have been more careful. I feel like buying stuff at an unknown fish store is like having a one night stand with a skanky chick you meet at a bar.

I got this rock and coral from a new fish store. The price was good and they seemed ok. I guess I should have been more careful. I feel like buying stuff at an unknown fish store is like having a one night stand with a skanky chick you meet at a bar.

+1 Hillarious

Someone used a soldering iron the other day to get rid of their majanos. Cooking torches have worked for me.

crister13 said:
It's not really their fault the aiptasia is there. And that's really funny lol.

So are you saying fish stores have no responsibility of selling livestock that have no pests?

Is there any way besides using Apastia x?

If I use that will it kill other corals or how do I apply it

Flipping minow said:
Is there any way besides using Apastia x?

If I use that will it kill other corals or how do I apply it

I put some boiling water in an eye dropper and sprayed it. The thing melted like the wicked witch of the east.

If I do that will I need to scrape the remains or key it be? Also should I pull the rock out with the AP on it close to the surface, and then simply spray the boiling water on it?

Flipping minow said:
If I do that will I need to scrape the remains or key it be? Also should I pull the rock out with the AP on it close to the surface, and then simply spray the boiling water on it?

There a YouTube vid showing someone spraying the aptasia with boiling water. That should give you the method. Good luck.

I put a bit of hot lemon juice in a syringe and squirted it directly in its mouth. This worked for me.

So are you saying fish stores have no responsibility of selling livestock that have no pests?
there is often no way for them to tell what might be lurking in the rock when received. Often times you buy rock hoping to get some hitchhikers.
sometimes you get the bull & sometimes the bull gets you.

Sometimes things that are on LR don't even come out until a year after being in the tank. It is almost impossible to say what is on it. Even some of the best places to get rock and corals from will send you rock that has aiptasia or other pests on it. Only thing you can do is QT as best you can and deal with it as it comes. Aiptasia-X did the job on mine when I got it.

I bought some live rock too with them on there not knowing what they were at the time and the kid at the LFS never told me they were bad. I heard the lemon juice works if you inject it and I read online that Peppermint shrimp ( I would imagine they only go after the lil ones), and there's a sea hair ( I forget which one) that remove them as well. They do retract into rocks if something touches it so Idk how well running hot water would kill them unless it sat in boiling water for a while then I guess it would. I would recommend checking out Bulkreefsupply.com for rock. They have dry live rock with nothing on them and cheapest place I ve found it so far.

reefrocks.net has far cheaper base rock that BRS (dry rock is base rock, not live rock :) )

Back
Top Bottom