Is this fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishayFishay

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436140862.373663.jpg
I got my gourami like a day ago and this randomly showed up this morning, anybody can help me out on what this is?

Looks like an OK male?
Also looks like a lot of surface movement in tank?
I love my pearls!
The champagne of gouramis IMO!
They are pigs who prefer little current and still waters.
Who is in tank with him???

Looks like an OK male?
Also looks like a lot of surface movement in tank?
I love my pearls!
The champagne of gouramis IMO!
They are pigs who prefer little current and still waters.
Who is in tank with him???

Yeah I have a Emperor 280 on a 26bf. I need to fill all the way up so the current is smoother. I love "him" so far, I thought it was a female. Lol, but there's only 2 Bolivian rams that stay in their lane at the bottom and a bristlenose Pleco that's still a juvenile that also stays out of the way. Looks like fungus a bit on the tip of his tail. Kinda weird.

fin rot usually has a brown tinge to it on the end. I'd just treat with 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 Gallons for a week and if that doesn't work then worry. Don't use melafix. Gourami's HATE it. Labyrinth fish hate oil substances on that float on the surface.

fin rot usually has a brown tinge to it on the end. I'd just treat with 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 Gallons for a week and if that doesn't work then worry. Don't use melafix. Gourami's HATE it. Labyrinth fish hate oil substances on that float on the surface.

Would it cause them to not breathe from the surface?

I have a male pearl gourami also and have used melafix for a week with no problem. He ate fine hung out in his usual places and didn't seen stressed or bothered by it at all. I just put in some tank water first then dump that into the tank so it mixes in a little better rather than sitting on the surface. Just follow the dosing and you should be fine if you opt to use it.

Don't risk it. Google betta fish and melafix, pimafix is much worse though. When they come up to breath they gulp in the floating oily substance. Regardless if you see no symptoms don't make the fish eat it. I used pimafix with gourami's once and it wasn't good. They started to act lethargic and hide and they never recovered. Went from being social to scared weirdos. Trust me

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When I say google betta fish I say that because there's more info on them an d the side effects of melafix and pimafix. However gourami's are also air breathing fish and do what bettas do. They come up to gulp air. Pimafix and melafix both bubble the surface and float.

Also the two gourami's that were doomed suffered where as my honey gourami didn't seem to act different. Regardless of that it doesn't mean it wasn't affected by it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the concern guys but the stuff has cleared up the next day and the gourami is only skittish now. Plan to get some bloodworms and make him real happy and feel at home.

Back
Top Bottom