Is this fish unhealthy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WCAlexander

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive had this fish for a week in which its stomach has swollen enormously, is it pregnant or could this be some sort of disease? The water is green because I am treating for fungus because yet again I got a new fish at a local shop and it became noticably infected immediately after adding it to my tank . Water levels were just above 1 ppm ammonia, before my water change today, acceptable otherwise.

Sent from my SCH-R960 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1412984567366.jpg
    1412984567366.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 74
If you still have a pH of 8 as stated in your profile, and your ammonia is 1, that's pretty much a death sentence. Your ammonia needs to be at ZERO. As for the fish in question, it's too difficult for me to guess with the water color interfering in the pic. One (or two) questions I would put out is what's your feeding schedule and how long has this tank been running ? Others would be what are you using to test the water, what other test besides ammonia are you conducting, and what's your definition of "acceptable" ?

At this point, I would look into not buying anymore fish till you get the tank settled down. Also, in the future I would consider not buying from that place and start using a QT. And what fungus are you treating for ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Ph is lower, 6.~ last I checked, havent updated profile in a bit. Been running over a month now with fish in, nearly two. Feed a little before and after work. Api master test kit is what they used at the store where I brought it to be tested. I have no space for a quarantine tank, and I dont have any more slated after this batch.

They tested for nitrates etc but didn't give me specifics except on ammonia which she said can rise on adding more fish (family bought me a dozen walmart fish, ugh but what can you do.)

The fungus I have no idea on specifics, white slime was eating at the head of a fish, shop owner said it was a mouth fungus

Ph is lower, 6.~ last I checked, havent updated profile in a bit. Been running over a month now with fish in, nearly two. Feed a little before and after work. Api master test kit is what they used at the store where I brought it to be tested. I have no space for a quarantine tank, and I dont have any more slated after this batch.

Okay so you're on the fish in cycling. It's a 50/50 mixup of if one or the other is better. I've done all mine that way with no issues. Have you done any reading on it ? Here's a good read from within AA if you haven't yet. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

On another note, I (and many others) would suggest getting your own test kit to have at home. They are very handy when a trip to the LFS can't happen for a day or longer, the LFS is not open, and/or fish are dying off quickly. Stick with the liquid type as the strips are very inaccurate.

I can understand space restrictions in any home. I have them too, lol, but a QT could be as small as a 10g tank. It would be ideal to have in a different room with it's "own" tools, but if there's a spot 20"x10"x12" under your current setup, you've got plenty if space. The caveat to a small tank like that is in the event a fish becomes sick (like your situation) you could easily treat just the one (or couple) outside your main tank with smaller quantities of meds. It does not need to be running 24/7 to do this. Having a small sponge filter in your DT will be enough to set up in an emergency.

Hope this helps a bit, especially if you have to convince a special loved one with your thinking cap on. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Sorry, I can't help with the sick fish. But, I agree with Treemanone about a QT being a necessity.

I have QT'd in a cheap 3 gallon "pet keeper" that I store supplies in when not in use. ( petco or Petsmart) I keep it bare and they are in there for 1 full week. Constant water changes. Then, I move them to a cycled lightly planted (rocks with moss and some deco) 5.5 gallon for 5 weeks.

Treemanone is correct 10 gallon is best, especially since dosing of medicine is generally "per 10 gallons", but if you don't have room or budget, smaller QTs will work. But, even in cycled small QT, change 50% water every 4 days. And, keep testing the parameters.

I hope your sick fish gets better!

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Definitely the ammonia is too high. I can't tell what type of fish it is - if it is a live bearer or egg layer. With my live bearers, they get a large droop, get a squarish shape when viewed from the top, and have behavioral changes which you should do more,research on.

I have had fish that have been super bloated and look pregnant, but are egg layers. Usually noticeable a few days after purchasing. Turned out to be an internal parasite.

Maybe it is constipated. If that is the case, try feeding a smashed, cooked pea. It is best to buy frozen because it should not come from a can or be flavored or anything. That helps move things along.

Should you try a salt treatment for constipation, make sure it is epsom salt, not aquarium salt. Aquarium salt actually makes them retain water.

Also, the ph sounds low.

Ammonia is back to zero, fish looks less bulgy at times but still noticeable. Fish with fungal disease dies, rest appear to be fine.

Back
Top Bottom