Is this going to be an issue?! If so would any of these solutions work?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
So here is my thought, since starting the 75g planted I have noticed a trend. My nitrates are slowly becoming non existent. I checked my params today and got 0 ammo, 0 nitrites, and just about 0 nitrates. I haven't done a wc this week yet.

I KNOW plants require some nitrates and I am pretty sure that I heard something about too low nitrates cause my cycle to crash. Is this true?!

So my tank is understocked by a fair bit. 64% according to AQ. I don't feed too much because I fear algae.

Plant growth for my low tech tank has been superb thus far. I guess my 2 concerns are with the more plants grow and continue to fill in the more and more nitrates keep getting sucked out. This will cause a deficiency I think, and worried about my cycled tank BB dying.

Are my concerns valid?

Here are some ways I was thinking could help prevent this, let me know what you all think.

Option 1: add more fish, this would mean more waste and thus more nitrates in the water, right?

Option 2: feed more often and bigger portions, this could be a bit risky as overfeeding fish could lead to potential health concerns right?

Option 3: add some bottled product to increase nitrates, this would mean more work and stuff adding to the tank which is the thing I want least. But if its the only way than obviously I will do it.

So which options would you all choose?

Stock is
1 golden ram
2 pearl gourami
25 cardinal
7 oto cats
and a bunch of different snails

The easiest and simplest way would be to use some dry ferts(potassium Nitrate). You could combine options 1&3. If you are happy with the amount of fish you have now, don't just add for the sake of it. Go with option 3
You want to aim for Nitrates around 20-30ppm. I'm new to the planting side, so I can't give you detailed advice on dosage but the American guys/gals will be on later and be able to give you much more advice and even where to buy the ferts. Dry fertilizers are way cheaper than buying any bottled ferts. You are basically paying for the water to get shipped. I have the opposite problem to you, well I did, I had too much Nitrates. Under control now....lol

HI Phili'
I looked at your tank pics. You have a really nice set up! From what I see you have medium light & medium light plants. That gives you a good place to be. Not as slow growing as a low light tank but not as crazy high maintenance & hassle of a high tech, high light tank. You've done a beautiful job aquascaping it too. WTG!
For that size tank, you'll be way ahead to use dry ferts and mix them yourself. Green Leaf Aquarium offers a package that is real popular in here. You can get like a year + supply for $30. With all green plants I'd say they will use NO3 more than PO4 and with your light stocking (which has its good points) you'll need to add extra NO3. I'd suggest keeping NO3 at 10ppm min to 30 max at point of WC.
In summary. what you have is plants that are so healthy that they are consuming more NO3 than your fish are producing. So you have to add some yourself. If you let the NO3 get too low your plants will suffer. Hope this helps at least on the NO3 part.
Here is a link to the GLA site. OS.
Aquarium Plant Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

HI Phili'
I looked at your tank pics. You have a really nice set up! From what I see you have medium light & medium light plants. That gives you a good place to be. Not as slow growing as a low light tank but not as crazy high maintenance & hassle of a high tech, high light tank. You've done a beautiful job aquascaping it too. WTG!
For that size tank, you'll be way ahead to use dry ferts and mix them yourself. Green Leaf Aquarium offers a package that is real popular in here. You can get like a year + supply for $30. With all green plants I'd say they will use NO3 more than PO4 and with your light stocking (which has its good points) you'll need to add extra NO3. I'd suggest keeping NO3 at 10ppm min to 30 max at point of WC.
In summary. what you have is plants that are so healthy that they are consuming more NO3 than your fish are producing. So you have to add some yourself. If you let the NO3 get too low your plants will suffer. Hope this helps at least on the NO3 part.
Here is a link to the GLA site. OS.
Aquarium Plant Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums
Right on cue....haha

I live in Ontario Canada. And after doing a second and third test on nitrates to be sure, it looks like I have 0 now.

I am going to order the pps pro kit and dose as directed and see how that goes.

Thanks for the kind words OS, I can't wait to see how things fill in. I also have plans to get more variety of plants for a few spots. So far I am very happy with the progress I have made.

Phili,
If you have any questions about the PPS Pro after you get it just ask. Many in here use it. You can PM me also if you wish. Good luck. OS.

Keep in mind that Rams are more sensitive to nitrates. I would keep the nitrate level under 20 ppm at all times just to be safe. My plants are thriving in my low-tech 10 gallon- nitrates are never over 10 ppm, and that's with a fairly heavy stock. I have to keep nitrates low because my dwarf anchor catfish won't tolerate higher levels.

Back
Top Bottom