is this ich and is there anything I can do that I'm not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ap0ll0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I noticed one of my female boesemani rainbowfish, the one that had never really developed a lower half (normally they have a deep, rounded chest, this one's stayed flat) was swimming constantly in the filter return, one of the jets of the spray bars. After a day or so I also noticed that at the right angle you could see a couple of small slightly offwhite 'grains', which I believe was ich. IT also developed redness/lesion on one of its gills, and gill movement was fairly rapid.

Just prior to doing a water change before starting treatment (temp slowly up to 30c, conservative (due to sterba's corys) dose of King British White Spot control and reducing the flow on the filter so the water would be slower through the UV steriliser) I found a female celebes rainbowfish dead at the bottom. I had seen no signs apart from maybe the day before I thought one of them was swimming a bit listlessly near the top for a while. I treated the tank, and none of the other fish got sick, the 'ich' got a bit worse on the boesemani (but you still had to look fairly close) but she kept eating, but getting obviously weaker and worse, floating at the top, getting pushed/pulled around a bit by the current. After a few more days she seemed to recover a bit, but then died a few hours later while I was out. I continued treatmeant for another two doses (48hrly) and then stopped.

Just over a week later, I noticed a couple of the celebes behaving a bit listlessly again, and noticed on those fish the same type of spot that had been on the boesemani, again still very hard to see and only one or two of them. I immediately resumed treatment. There seemed to be one or two males possibly affected, and a female. The males have now recovered, but the female is getting worse day by day. The 'ich' spots went away, but this evening I can see another in a different place, and she is floating at the top about 50% of the time, then swimming/dropping down to near the bottom, and then swimming vertically back up. Still can get around the tank but is bumping into things a bit this evening. Hasn't eaten for days, maybe once or twice I've seen her peck at something drifting by. Gills don't seem to be working hard, but she is getting paler and paler.

So - thoughts?

quarantine is not really an option as the tank is occupied with new arrivals

current stock for main tank

1m 3f boesemani rainbowfish
4m 3f celebes 'rainbowfish' one of whom is the sick one
4 sterba's cory, at least one male and female as I have seen spawning. not to tempt fate but these guys seem rock hard, as far as I can tell they couldn't care less about the temp increase or the meds, i dont even see them popping the surface for air which is normal for them to occasionally do I understand), and even though there are only 4 I only have to hold still for a couple of minutes and they'll come out scouring the sand for bits to eat)

I have seen spawning from the celebes, at least one female (while it was 3m 1f, and I think it was that one that later died with no apparent cause), and lots of courting but don't think ever actual spawning from the boesemanis

Apart from the sick celebes they all are eagerly eating pretty much anything I throw at them - they seem to spit out the older/lower grade flake a lot, getting to be picky I guess :p but everything else (flake, freeze dried bloodworm and tubifex, floating micro pellets, cyclopeese, finely chopped salad leaf, preserved daphnia, brine shrimp mix. shrimp pellets and the occasionally bit of veg for the corys, as well as algae wafers but they are not that keen on them)

qt has 3 juvenile male boesemani (was meant to be 1m 2f....) who seem to be doing very well indeed.

tank params whenever I check them are 0, 0, 20-40. did a big WC at the weekend and added JBL nitronatex as I want to get the nitrates down a bit in general. moderately planted, sand substrate, some drift/bogwood and mopani wood, couple of plastic ornaments. have added airstone and as of last night am leaving it on constantly as I noticed the other boesemanis staying at the surface after lights out, but seem fine now and otherwise.

recently had a pest snail explosion, am now removing as many as I can during water changes and they seem back under control. Reasonably amount of algae on things in the tank, slowly been getting under control by reducing outside light and feedings etc, hoping the jbl nitrate filter media is as good as people say....

55g, tt ex1200 canister filter, vecton 600 UV steriliser. 30-50% water changes per week with tapwater + prime, have now upped this to twice per week due to the seeming re-currence of the ich. Will continue treatment for 2 weeks this time after the last symptoms seen and then only drop one aspect at a time per week (heat/meds/uv flowrate)

just getting a bit depressed watching her slowly get worse, as it seems inevitable she is going to die, but euthanasia seems premature, she is still able to get about the tank. From what I can tell, a salt water dip is unlikely to help if it is indeed ich, and could stress her further

i've tried to provide all the relevant info, but feel free to ask for further detail/context. I'll try and remember to update asap if she suddenly quits or recovers :p

update: dead :( at least she's at peace, and didn't seem to suffer a great deal

hmm I thought that would be the last of this set of troubles but it looks now like one of the males is having a similar problem - I can't see any ich spots, one of his sides has something at the right angle but I think its just that they all have shiny patches in general on their sides. But he's not eating, not shoaling much with the others, and moving less. However when I observe the tank from a distance after some time away he does seem to be moving about the whole tank, still slower. He does also look somewhat interested in the feeding he just doesn't actually make any real effort to eat.

If anyone can suggest anything - I've done a 3rd (small) pwc tonight, dosed more meds.

He doesn't seem too bad yet, and I did have another males behaving similarly who recovered quickly, but I'm not hopeful

I tested all my params and noticed the ph has risen - it was just below 8 but now it its a little above 8. but the celebes can be brackish fish so I wouldn't have thought they mind so much

well, the male continued to go the same way as the female. in desperation I just tried a salt dip, which didn't kill it outright :p but doesn't seem to have improved it any - for the first 30 mins back in the tank it seemed maybe a little more active, but now its back near the top by itself. I'm watching the other fish carefully, and have reduced the flow even more to improve the uv sterilisation. still dosing with whitespot control, just praying no more fish get affected, as I'm worried I'm going to end up doing more harm than good by having to prolong the treatment

ph definitely seems to be rising, it is now 8.2 - the other female celebes seem a bit darker than usual but everyone apart from the dying male are acting normal as far as I can tell. I've drastically reduced feeding lately and they practically bite my fingers off when I do feed them, and the corys come straight to their pellets and devour them

going to do a big water change and thorough clean of the tank tomorrow afternoon. params looked good today, nitrates 20ish which is lower than it often is

Sorry you're having such issues. I'm not familiar with themed you're using & I'm wondering if maybe the fish can't handle it which can happen. I would stop the meds, get it cleaned out of the water & see if that helps at all. Usually for Ich all you have to do is slowly increase water temp to 86F & increase aeration. Is your filter still turned down low? I'm wondering if part of the problem is not enough oxygenation. I wish had some better advice, hopefully someone else will chime in.

so do you think if I put the purigen back in the filter (took it out as it was removing the meds), do my big clean and water change today and should keep the heat up and the flow down (for uv) and stop the meds and I should still be ok?

the male is still with us this morning but I don't think for much longer - I'll try another salt dip while I'm cleaning the tank and see if he does better (if he last that long) in a tank with much less medication

thing is all the others seem fine, apart from the previous female to go whose symptoms started after I stopped medicating (and reduced the heat)

oh and I should have pretty good oxygenation, got an airstone running pretty much 24/7 and the spray bar return, about half the surface of the water is constantly agitate. they were definitely having a bit of trouble without the airstone at night though

ok so he was literally just hanging at the top this morning, so I thought it was time to make an end of it, but given it was a challenge to scoop him out I decided it wasn't fair to put him down just yet, and tried another salt dip while I changed about 30/40% of the tank water. he survived the dip again and again is no longer hanging at the top, but is still in a bad way.

if he is no worse when the lights come on, I will put the purigen back in the filter, and do a tank clean which will necessitate at least another 30/40% water change, which should get most of the meds out, so if it is the meds or something else in the tank, it should improve things, though I really don't expect the male to make it through, hopefully it will prevent another one starting on the same route immediately after.

I can still see no ich spots but will keep the temp up for another 2 weeks regardless (more if something changes)

I kinda wish I didn't have the QT occupied with 3 young male boesemani who are starting to grow out, because then i could put this guy in and know for sure whether it was something in my tank, but I really don't want to put them at risk by either putting him in with them, or moving them into the display tank (although they themselves I don't think are a risk to the others, as they've been in QT for 4 weeks now - possibly I could move them into the main tank and QT this male celebes? I would just then hate to see the new boesemanis come down with whatever this problem is....

also wondering if I should try a bit of salt rather than meds, as it will definitely benefit the celebes by all accounts (they can thrive in brackish), would be a bit worried about the corys but they don't seem bothered by the heat or meds, not sure about the boesemanis

So we know there's plenty of oxygen in the water & that shouldn't be a problem. Its possible there's something other than Ich happening but unfortunately I'm not sure what. If I understand correctly you only have the one fish who is ill at the moment. If you're not seeing Ich then at this point other than leaving the heat up I wouldn't use the meds which if I'm not mistaken were specifically for the Ich. If you had anything other than meds in the tank that could contaminate it then I think other fish would be showing symptoms. I wouldn't salt the whole tank at this point. Unfortunately he may be too ill to save but I'm glad you're trying. 4 wks in QT is usually good enough to know if the fish are healthy but its your call whether to swap them around. Other than his behavior does anything else look off about him at this point? Bloated belly? Faded coloring? Clamped fins? Anything? Wounds? One other thing, does the med you use say anything about the effect it has on BB? Some specifically say they won't hurt it so you may need to keep a close eye on the water parameters, they should be fine since you've been doing water changes but just keep it in mind. I really wish I had something better to offer you to help your fish.

I've put the purigen back in the filter along with the carbon that came with the filter originally that i never used.

he's been progressively getting paler and is now extremely pale, and I think I'm now seeing ich spots a bit on its sides. it isn't doing very well. I'm going to give it a little while to see what is happening, as if it is going to die soon I'd rather do the tank clean after, but if it shows any improvement from the filter reducing the meds I'll clean it first and change more water.

I think he's going to be gone soon so I'm not going to do anything premature with the boesemanis in QT just yet. now I'm removing the meds I'm making sure the temp is at 86c solidly

It is just so distracting from the other beautiful fish in my aquarium watching one at a time slowly get sick and die and not being sure if I'm doing the right thing to stop it happening to more

the thing is my general understanding is when ich kills fish, it is very clearly what has happened ie there are quite a few ich spots covering the fish - whereas I'm seeing what looks like ich, but to such a small extent that I really can't be 100% sure

So sorry, I know how it is to watch as a fish gets progressively worse regardless of what we do to save them, we've all been there at some point. Is there anyway you could post a pic? You could QT him in a bucket if need be or if you have a breeder box. Its just so difficult to know for sure what's happening with these little creatures.

I have used I think it's Maracyd (spelled bad) to get rid of Ich and in about a week it would be gone, keeping the temperature up and I always add some aquarium salt to all my freshwater tanks (I have 5 tanks 2X75, 1X 30, etc) and I think the salt really helps too.

Good luck

update - after doing a tank clean and it still getting worse, after I saw it corkscrewing several times I decided enough was enough, took it out (it was easy to catch) and ended its suffering swiftly with a small hammer to the head. this made me quite sad but I think it was for the best. it was slightly poetic as he was named (last time I'm naming fish, tbh I only name fish I can tell apart just so I have something to call them when I'm taking rolecall) Shane from The Shield if anyone has seen it

I'm still really paranoid at the moment and watching the other fish very closely. the two remaining females are worrying me slightly but I can't tell at the moment, they still look to be eating and moving around, but they are often staying in one place facing one way, which is always how this seems to start. I'm just praying (like last time) that I'm done with this for now...the temp is staying at 86 for the next 14 days...

hmm this is troubling - I just tested the water parameters, and ammonia and nitrite were 0, didn't bother testing nitrates as I've changed about 90% of the water today, but the high range ph test didn't seem to get a reading, I used the normal ph test and it is around 7 possibly lower. this doesn't seem possible, as it was over 8 a few days ago, and my tapwater is pretty hard and alkali

I'll test again after the lights are out and test kh and gh, and my tapwater also. if it hasn't risen I might pull the carbon and/or the purigen out. this is ironic as I was just starting to worry if the ph creeping up from just below 8 to just over was causing problems

just wondering if it was because I restored the purigen and carbon to get rid of the meds to go heat only for treatment and added another packet of bionitratex to the filter (each packet is for 50ml and you are meant to add one a week)

one of the females is now probably the next victim to this - she's staying in the middle of the tank. she does still join the feeding scrum, but 90% of the time is staying the in same spot. everyone else seems fine as usual....

update - this evening, apart from for some reason the lights not having come on today, ammonium and nitrite are still fine, ph is back where it used to be (was back this morning)

I'm still not sure the two celebes females are 100%, they seem a little lethargic, but they are more active than last night - they both show interest in the feeding but hard to actually catch one eating something

it did look like both of them were engaging with the males in spawning behaviour which is probably a good sign, and they are both a fairly healthy colour

so fingers crossed

still looking good today. Tank is looking cleaner than it ever has also, I'll check the nitrates soon to see how the JBL nitronatex is helping, but with less feeding also the algae seems to be coming under control

I did notice last night one of the corys had a couple of white/light splotches on its head - on a close inspection the patch was not raised or fluffy as far as I can tell so hopefully just a scrape. I checked again when I got home this evening - no worse and possibly a little better, i might to a small water change this evening just to be on the safe side. it is on my fattest cory and all of them are still behaving normally, except I did notice this one climbing a small plant leaf to get algae off, then when it ended up upside down as result seem to stay there a bit as it was able to scratch/rub its white patches on the substrate, which worried me a little. if it shows any signs of getting worse I'll do more water changes and probably treat with pima/melafix combo

update for anyone who stumbles across this thread while running a search (as I got a bit tired of never finding out the ending when doing the same)

I'm a bit superstitious about tempting fate, but the problem appears to have subsided for now - all appear to be healthy and eating - it seems one of the females was definitely under the weather, and at one point seemed to 'wig out' (swimming ridiculously fast in a crazy but clear pattern in a small area) for a moment one evening but seems to be pretty much back to normal now. I'm keeping an eye on the cory with the light patches, they are getting no worse and possibly improving and it is showing no sign of distress, although I think it might be scratching a bit.

tank is still at 30c (actually im battling my heater to get it to a stable 30.0-2 but at the moment it is more like 30.5c and I think I will keep this up for another week, before adding the boesemani males I have in quarantine, who will by then have been in there for 6 weeks, eating like pigs, sparring/bullying each other, growing and colouring up nicely, but they are still less than half the size of my male, so it'll be interesting to see how that goes, but the female boesemanis at the moment are getting terrorised by the male, so hopefully this will take some of the strain off them as the males can quarrel with each other, I'm just not sure how the new little guys will take being stuck with a big alpha male...but they are small enough to hide when they need a break and there's plenty of plants to hide in

oh and re the JBL media, nitrates are definitely way down, not sure if this might be because I've been steadily getting stricter on feeding, but they are 10 out of the tap and my tank is usually 20-40. it is now showing <10. that is with half the recommend amount of media, I still have two more bags which I'm going to hold off on adding for now and see how it goes

ive also been keeping the filter flow turned well down so that the UV time is increased substantially, and running an airstone pretty much 24/7, I turn it off for a bit in the evenings to give them a break

Back
Top Bottom