Is this overstocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mPhish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10gal tank.
I have-
-6 male guppies
-2 live plants
I want to add
-1 dwarf gourami for centerpiece (probably)
-1-2 more guppies (possibly)

Is the 1" per gallon rule effective or garbage? I've heard both.
Any other ideas welcome and appreciated!
:thanks:

I wouldn't mind adding 1-2 otos or 1-2 of the little cute cory cats instead of more guppies, but if I have no algae do I have to feed them special stuff?

To me that seems ok. If you have no algae you will have to supplement feed. I recommend omega one algae discs. I've read most others ingredients and wasnt pleased with what I saw.
Also I've heard gouramis can be mean. If they are guppies will be no match for them.

@fatboyfish
Do you know for sure if DWARF gouramis are aggressive? Some websites say they are peaceful but I have heard otherwise as well.

@fatboyfish
Do you know for sure if DWARF gouramis are aggressive? Some websites say they are peaceful but I have heard otherwise as well.

I'd be concerned that the gouramis would mistake the guppies for other gouramis and fin-nip them. Then again, I've never kept either fish.

In terms of bioload, you're fine.

I personally have never kept gouramis and guppies together but I have a friend who has them and haven't seen any problems yet but it really depends on the fish's personality

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you're going to get pygmy catfish or ottos, they really should be in a bigger group, so I would advise against them since you don't have room for a group of 6 or more.

I would be concerned about the dwarf gourami possibly trying to snack on the guppies.

Id skip the dwarf gourami as 25% of them now have a virus that makes them die in a few months. Its due to in-breeding, and it sucks as they are such cool fish. I would get a honey gourami. They are very cute and peaceful.

i have had guppys with dwarf gourami
and it worked out fine for 6 months then the gourami died due to amonia spike

My dwarf gourami is a little aggressive. Especially towards my german blue ram. He will chase her sometimes but that's about it. I say give it a try and see how it goes. Every fish is different.

Surfnturf
img_3101405_0_b6cb2fe2ef2d6daa64c17c623274362e.jpg

I have a wonderful dwarf gouramis that is super peaceful. He's in a tank with long finned skirt tetras and a cobra guppy. They get along very well. My gouramis tends to swim closer to the bottom where my guppy swims closer to the top. But they pass each other often :)

I've got 5 guppies in a planted 10 gal and I'd say the bio load is plenty for me. What are your nitrates like before your water changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom