is this too many rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scrmom

Aquarium Advice Activist
I purchased additional 30lbs of live cured rock yesterday, so totalling 110lbs of live rock now. I have rearranged 4 times in 24hours. I am still not happy with it. It just seems like there isn't going to be enough room for the fish to swim around. I tried to make holes for the fish to swim in out of. Should I break some of the rock such as the tonga on the right side? If so how is the best way to break it up. Or does look alright the way it is?

viewimage.php
[/URL][/img]

The amount of rock is a matter of personal preference. I like alot of rock. It does limit you on livestock since there is less swimming room but it's great filtration. Be sure you get plenty of flow around behind the rocks as well. What size tank is it?

75g. I have 1 maxijet 900 powerhead and will purchasing another once it is in the store. Then we have mag 9 or 12 pump in the sump.

You can probably move some of the LR into the sump. That will still provide filtration and open up more space for livestock to move around. As for breaking up LR, I would use a good old fashioned hammer (possibly put the rubble in the sump). Those dead branching corals take up odd space. You will probably end up re-aquascaping the LR in the near and distant future.

IMO, you can never have too much LR! Of course you need to account for swimming room, but it is the best biological filtration available. I have over 160lbs in my 72gal with annother 30lbs of rubble in my sump.

Should the live rock rubble take the place of the bioballs? I am starting to remove bioballs.
Otherwise, I don't know have any room for the rock in the sump.

Should the live rock rubble take the place of the bioballs?
I would say definitely! As Lando said, it is the BEST filtration.

Check out Lando's "Gallery" . You'll see how he replaced the bio-balls with lr in his wet/dry. I've done the same. You can also raise the water level in the filter to cover the lr. However, don't forget to leave enough spare room in the wet/dry to accommodate the water drain back when the pump is turned off.

I have 200 lbs in my 125. Your LR amount sounds good to me. As Lando said it the best filtration possible.

You need to determine if you want a fish, reef or mixed reef tank. Whatever way you want it, just have it so doesn't have it look like a rock pile like most of the tanks you see on these sites .

putting some in the sump will help. unfortunately you may have to re-aquascape (again) to acomadate fish swimming room but that also depends on the fish you choose tho. if goin for a tang, then yeah, but there are alot of other fish that stay close to the reef (if goin for a reef) that would be entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom