It's Been Awhile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ManInAHat73

Aquarium Advice Activist
I finally decided to keep some fish after about 10 years. I used to have a 180 gallon tank full of various freshwater fish, but I was young and never really had to take care of it (my parents did most of it). Ever since then I have had fish on and off. I recently bought a 10 gallon tank and am trying to come up with a good stock for it. I'm thinking about getting any of the following:

Upside Down Catfish
Plecostomus
Black Ghost Knife
Silver Tipped Shark
Pictus Catfish
Hi Fin Bull Shark
Rainbow Shark
Synodontis Lace Catfish
Any freshwater puffer fish
Bala Shark
Iridecent Shark

Which of these fish will go best with each other while being in a 10 gallon tank? I've tried researching it on my own, but everywhere I go, both online and in person, tells me something different about each fish.

I may get another tank soon as well, either a 10 or 20 gallon. Would this be a good idea?

If you're going with the 10 gallon a pleco with any type or shark or catfish will be fine, just watch out for size expectations of all three fish.

So-called freshwater pufferfish could more than likely actually be brackishwater fish, meaning they need higher salinity than other freshwater organisms.

If you do decide to go with a bigger tank, maybe even 30g+ I would say that you might look around for the various types of Shovelnose catfish. You sound as if you may like the catfish/shark look, and this cat has the looks and the shark ferocity. It may get bigger than what you think so really look into to it if it interests you.

Thanks for the info on the pufferfish. I think that after a while I'll get a 30+ tank.

I also recently came across a 10-gallon tank (my friend moved and gave it to me). I kind of want to do a community tank. Was thinking something like:

Angelfish + Glass Catfish

Is this a good combo? I heard that Angelfish could get aggressive. If not, would a tank of all catfishes be cool? I'm probably looking into 2 types of Catfishes. Assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Keep in mind that most catfish will usually grow to be very large. Even though a glass catfish does not, an angelfish will in authorize's case. I don't think aggression would be so much of a problem as the fish outgrowing the tank in both situations. So you must be ready to upgrade when it becomes necessary.

Also, authorize, if you are inexperienced in fishkeeping, I would not reccommend a 10 gallon as a first tank. The chemestry is more sensitive in a smaller tank.

The only pufferfish you could put in a 10g is a dwarf puffer. They are strictly freshwater and don't get changed over to brackish. I have two of them. They used to each have their own 10g tank, but on Sunday I switched them over to a 29g tank together. They are wonderful, friendly, full of character little fish. They like very, very highly planted tanks, however. They feel more secure the more plants you have in the tank.

Thanks for the advice, FishStarter89. If I have a great experience with this tank, I'll definitely be upgrading sometime down the road. Just thought that, since I got a free tank, might as well put it to use. I'm kind of skeptical with Cichlids, since I read everywhere that they are aggressive. Worst case scenario, I just ditch the Angelfish until I get a bigger tank.

If you get a pleco stick to the smaller sized such as Bristlenose or L163 Big Spot or any of the other smaller species.
Some common plecos can get up to 3 feet long so obviously will not fit in a 10 gallon.
You can scratch Bala shark off your list, they get up to 17"

I wouldn't put any of the fish off the list in a 10g....except for Dwarf Puffers....and a trio (1m/2f) is the most you'd want. The last 2 on the list really shouldn't be kept in any aquarium IMO. They get way too large.

I understand that a 10g is all someone can get sometimes, but its not a good starting point IMO. There aren't a ton of common fish that could live in a 10g.

authorize, please don't put an angelfish in a 10g. :) You will stunt it and it won't live very long.

Thanks everyone for the solid advice. Looks like this 10g can't do much. Besides Dwarf Puffers, is there anything else I can consider? Or would I be better off either upgrading now or go with another animal (a lizard or a turtle)? Thanks for everyone's help again!

I decided to let the 10g tank go to my mom for her planting wants. Went to go to some "tank shopping" earlier tonight. I found a 16g bowfront tank at Petco for $94.99. For $98.97, I can get a 29g Tetra tank kit (with the filter, numerous liquids, food, etc.) at Wal-Mart. Both of the tanks are glass, but the one at Wal-Mart is rectangle vs. bowfront at Petco. I'm going to assume everyone will say the tank at Wal-Mart is a better bang for my money. My question is, will the 29g be a good starting tank? Or is it a bit too big/small? Everyone's assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks, and happy "fishing" :D

A 29 gallon is what I'm working with right now and it seems to be the perfect tank for a beginner. Although I would like a bigger one the 29g is all I can manage in my small living space. If I were you I would look on craigslist because there are usually several people on there looking to offload a used tank fairly cheap.

I found a 30g tank, with hood and light, that some guy was trying to unload on Craigslist for $40 with gravel and some decor. I think I might go with that route. My next question is, are pumps/filters pricey? I saw the posts earlier with everyone saying how much they shelled out for a tank, and got really intimidated. :)

For a 30 gal. No not really.
Look at Petco or Petsmart online for a rough idea.
I have to assume that for $40 for a used 30 gal that would certainly include a nice stand if it doesn't have the filter and heater, If not his asking price might be a bit much.

Back
Top Bottom