I've got algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Speakerman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just tested the water in my 150g and here are the stats

PH 7.5
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0

I've got quite a bit of algea growing on my fake plants (don't have any real ones in it), and I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

What are your suggestions?

What color is the algae? What does it look like? I am assuming that the tank is new since you are not registering Nitrates. Are there any fish in the tank? Does it receive direct sunlight? What type of test kit did you use to test the water?

Sorry I meant to mention that the algea is brown. It doesn't have long hairs or anything...or at least not yet. It mainly grows on the fake plants with leaves very close together.

The tank is not new, It's been up and running for 3-4 months. It has 2 oscars, 2 parrots, a GT, a pacu and 2 plecos in it.

The reason it doesn't show any nitrates is because I just did a massive cleaning where I took out all the water, QT'd the fish, took out all the gravel, put in UGF's and power heads, cleaned all the filters, then refilled the tank. That was about 4-5 days ago.

I bought a master test kit from Petco today. It doesn't use test stripps, rather it uses the small viles and drops. I'm possitive I did it right.

This is what my tank looks like, but I took out some of the fish.

2070368_190_full.jpg

The algae sounds like it is just diatoms. It will go away on it's own. Unsightly while it is there, but not a problem and is very common.

Considering the massive tank cleaning that you did, you may be in the process of re-cycling your tank. If the cleaning was 4 or 5 days ago, you should be showing some readings. Re-test the water and follow the directions to a T. Getting used to the AP kit can take a few tries. If the tank is re-cycling, you should have ammonia present. If it is not re-cycling, you should have Nitrates present. Especially considering your tank inhabitants. They are big waste producers so you should be showing Nitrates.

Yeah I was having problems with ammonia due to over feeding. I cut down to once a day (morning) and did the massive cleaning. I will check the nitrates here in 12-14 hours.

What is the approximate value the nitrates should be at?

EDIT---

Another thing...I am concerned about this growth because it looks similar to the growth I had in my 10 gallon planted tank... It was a beautiful tank...and the algea obliterated EVERYTHING! I now have rocks....and some driftwood in it...so so so sad...

diatoms should go away. 3-4 months is still new in terms of establishment.

I would think in a tank with fish like that, and no live plants you should have a minimum of 5ppm, I would think more to a max of 40 ppm.

Be cautious as fishyfanatic stated as far as re-cycling and testing.

On the AP nitrate test, be sure to shake bottle #2 as if shaking a can of spray paint or your kids..lol It will give false readings if not shaken well for 30 sec. before putting it in the tube and then the tube for 1 min.

Back
Top Bottom