I've made ALL the mistakes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually I wouldn't do any of those....if you move the filter you'll def kill all your fish (taking away the bb source). Do a pwc on the 10g to get the trates down (do 2 if necessary) and wait another 2 or 3 days to see where your 55 is. They are pretty close in terms of parameters so I'd say in 2 or 3 days if your 55 isn't lowered, start acclimating your fish ....but we should wait to see for a few more days

well, my filter for the ten gallon has two media sponge thingies in it, so I already took one of the sponges out and stuck it in the filter for the 55g. There is still a sponge and another thing in the middle of the filter for the 10 gallon, so I think they'll be okay. tomorrow morning it's PWC's for everybody! Let's hope for the best!

Another point. I have LARGE gravel, like small river stones (about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch diameter stones) in the 10G. My baby fish seem to be hiding in between the cracks of it, but they also seem to be getting stuck in there, too, and some seem to be having trouble getting out. The more I try to "help" and move the stones, the worse they seem to get stuck. Can you think of any "safe" way to get that large gravel out of the 10 gallon? Or should I just leave it until after the big move? I have pool filter sand in the 55.

:)

If you have a gravel vac, use it. You'll more than likely suck up the fry and the gravel will just fall out but it won't hurt the fry, they are small enough that they won't be hurt...when I was doing a pwc on my 20g, one of the adult female guppies got too brave and ended up taking a short ride through the tubing into the bucket. Just make sure your ammo on the 55 doesn't hit 0 for to long while cycling because until you get fish in there, the pure ammonia your using is its food source (don't wanna starve them too long)

Okay.... for better I worse, and because I am stir crazy waiting for my fishless cycle to cycle...I invented something. Okay, okay, it might be old news to some of you, but to me it is a new invention. I got a large (33 gallon) closed barrel at the local feed store for $15, and I also bought a submersible fishpond pump to put in it, as well as 20 feet of 1/2 inch ID flexible tubing.

I brought the barrel home and I cleaned it and cleaned it and cleaned it some more...mostly by flushing water through it. I also put some ammonia in it to help clean it. and then I flushed it some more.

After the water was coming out clean/clean/clean, I tasted it, and it tasted pretty good. Then I submerged the submersible pump into the barrel, and turned it on just to see what would happen. It took 13 minutes and 49 seconds to pump enough water out of it to run the pump dry, probably about 30 gallons.

After the barrel was empty. I moved it to an area in my side yard that is about 10 feet from the window of my classroom, right by the back of my fish tanks. Then I filled it up again, with tap water (from the garden hose), and put a capful of seachim PRIME water conditioner in it....enough to treat 50 gallons. Then I made sure everything was closed and covered up again, so I don't get any debris in my barrel of water.

Then I ran the electrical cord from the sump pump into the classroom window, as well as the other end of the 20 foot line of tubing.

Then I did a PWC on my 10G tank. I siphoned out about 1/4 of the tank. Then I got the end of the 20 foot tube that was connected to the sump pump in my barrel of treated water and put it into the fish tank. Then I plugged in the plug of the sump pump and WOW!!!! I had freshly treated water flowing right into my fish tank! Well, THAT ought to make PWC's a bit easier to do!
:brows:

I am hoping that if I can make PWC's easy, I will be able to do them very frequently. I'd like to perhaps do a little one almost every day?

Now I would like to figure out a way to make the siphoning OUT of the water more automatic. I am a switch turner and a button pusher. I want to push a button to siphon water OUT of my tank, and push another one to pump water INTO my tank. I want to do small frequent changes while I am sitting there watching, so I don't have any mishaps with water overflowing or tanks getting drained to much.

So...what do you think?:lol:

Attachments

• IMG_4605.jpg
    IMG_4605.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4607.jpg
    IMG_4607.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 57
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 69
This is the kind of barrel I am considering getting also. I believe these also come in 55 gallon size also which is what I would prefer to get. You got a great deal at $15 I think. The ones I have been looking at are like $65. You say you got it at a feed store? Do you know what was in the barrel before you got it? I may have someplace I could get one also for maybe even free I'm worried about what may have been in the barrel originally that may be harmful to the fish regardless of how much it is washed. How much did your little pump cost you? I would also want one of those but I will still bucket my water to the tank. You may also need a heater for you drum to make sure the water is the same or at least in the same ballpark as your aquarium water. You don't want to shock the fish with the new water if it is much colder than the aquarium water.

I have read this entire thread and I think it is absolutely awesome that you do what you do for the kids. I bet you are one of those teachers that the kids will remember for the rest of their lives.

I have subscribed to your this thread and will be following your progress. I think you should consider the water bridge between the 10 gallon and the 55 when the cycle is complete.

The barrel had Dr. Pepper in it before I got it. I may go pick up a couple more of the barrels, just because they are so nifty and a nice size. Why do you want a barrel if you are still going to bucket the water?

I know the water temp is different, which is why I would only do a very minimal change, but more often. I don't know they made heaters for barrels, though. I guess "they" would.

I think the "water bridge" would be awesome, but my 10G is going to be my QT tank and my hospital tank. I think it would defeat the purpose if I connected it to the big tank. :) But I have definitely filed the idea in my mind as a possibility for the future... I love doing the strange and unusual for my kids!

I saw a filtration system in a local pet shop that very much intrigued me, which is partly why I have come up with this idea. He has all of his tanks drilled with overflow pipes that drain into the city sewer system, and he has a constant drip system that drips fresh, dechlorinated tap water into the tanks continuously. I honestly think those were the happiest, healthiest fish I have ever seen, especially in a pet shop. And, according to parameters that I have seen mentioned, he was way, WAY over stocked in his tanks. But his fish did not look sluggish or sick or ANYTHING. I swear if they could've smiled they would've been. He said out of over 800 fish he had had only one mortality in the last month. I have NEVER been in any other pet shop where they didn't have 2 or 3 floaters at any given time, if you looked through all their tanks.

Suffice it to say I was very impressed by the system. But I don't want to drill holes in my tanks (I'm too chicken).

So this is as close as I can get to that for now. The wheels are still turning, though. :)

I will be doing the barrel so that I can heat the water as well as do a 50/50 tap and RO mix in the barrel. You just use a regular submersible aquarium heater in the barrel. Just like then one you have in the tanks you already have. It would just make it easier for me to have the water prepped and ready to go in the tank instead of trying to temper the water out of the tap which I find hard to do.

Only question I have and have asked in another forum and will be glad to post the answer here if I get one is, will allowing the water to sit in the drum taint the water? Is some sort of filtration or aeration needed on the barrel water to keep it from stagnating? Im thinking that as long as there is surface movement by using an aerator it should be fine. I would be doing at least one PWC each week and sometimes two a week so the water would not be sitting for too long without new water being introduced to the barrel.

Well my kids are already past preschool, unfortunately but good for you that you choose to teach the kids discipline through fish keeping. I think that's awesome. I also checked out your site and I'm proud to see you are a Mac user too :hide:. Haha

Great thread ;). I've been following all along. :)

love this idea!! if i had room for it in the room below my 125 id do the same thing (hmmm i may just try now) just please make sure it is sealed up nice and tight.. if ever something got into that water and tainted it..it wouldnt end well for your fishies. :( im beyond amazed at your dedication to these children..yes its only a fish tank and its something thats not technically "book knowledge", but it does wonders for children. in terms of the automated system, you could do an auto-top off in combination with an auto syphon...but thats over my head... oh and just make sure the water doesnt sit in there for too long:)

i am so excited! (No, my Nitrites didn't start going down! :( )

Tonight I did a 15% water change on all three of my fish tanks in under 15 minutes with no fuss, muss, bother, buckets or spills! WOO HOO!

i was wondering if you had lol...been on here about an hour and ive been thinking "wonder if territoons is on"

yup, here I am! I have some "refining" to do with my system, but the theory WORKS! I am excited. I am going to plumb my water source in semi-permanently using drip system piping.

noooo...no changes in the 55 numbers. I keep thinking the nitrite color is a little less purple, but I really think it's wishful thinking.

We installed a heater in the 55 and raised the temp to 85. I hope that helps the buggies multiply.

I'm also wondering if 15% PWC's every day will effect the numbers at all? What do you think?

I'm really trying to be patient. But these bugs better get TO it, because I am having a birthday party for my husband on Saturday, and I would really like fish in my 55 by then!

i dont think daily pwc's are gonna do anything...the bacteria feed on ammonia...so as long as theres ammonia you shouldnt have issues... id say by thursday if its not dropping, perhaps acclimate and add 2-3 fish and keep a close eye on the levels

but if i only add two or three fish wont all my bacteria die off? I have been feeding my tank 20ml of ammonia in the morning AND in the evening, and I have enough bugs to eat all the ammonia down to zero in 12 hours. just a few fish wont make that much ammonia, will it?

zebra danios, guppies, mollies, platies, a red tailed shark and assorted fry.

The zebras are cast iron and the obvious choice if I'm going to just pick a few to acclimate. They have lived through ALL of my mistakes, including living in the goldfish tank with the goldfish for a year or so! I have four of them.

Back
Top Bottom