Iwagami style planted 3g Picotope Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It won't much matter where you put the diffuser in that size tank so long as the filter is moving some water. I wouldn't put it in the HOB... I think it will be a little too shallow to get my absorption, and some will offgas as it spills out.

FWIW, I have 1 tank with the diffuser right next to my intake, and one that is on the opposite side of the tank. Both CO2 systems run at about the same flow rate, and both drop checkers always read green after some minor adjusting to start.

Do you have 4dKH standard for your dc? If not, I will ship you some along with the ferts.

Last edited:
i dont have any 4dkh i was going to make some but if you have some that would be swell!

I have made 4dkh in the past but thank you for the link. I read through it and there is a very thorough method here on AA. I have found it VERY important to bake the baking soda in the past to get it spot on.

The algea on the substrate is growing even with the co2 so which would be less of a bulldozer an otto or an SAE?

If its green spot algae I find they don't really do anything with it. Ottos are great for algae only. SAE will eat hair algae but mostly end up eating regular food like your other fish.

You can also just vacumm out the substrate that is affected, wash off the algae and put it back.

Yeah I agree. Saes are great for hair algae and bba. I doubt you would seem em work much on GSA. How about amanos?? An army of them would go to town.

its more of a moss looking bright green covering of the individual AS particles if that makes sense... I thought I would maybe float some stems in the water to try and force them to out compete for nutrients. I looked at some SAEs but they are HUGE compared to this little tank. Maybe I'll just wait it out and see...

do you mean live stock? I was thinking chichlids.... kidding no I havent decided. Some pygmy barbs maybe or some red spot white clouds. I havent decided. Something with some color on it for sure I may even try some neons we shall see. 3 gallons is awefuly small but the tank should support a heavy bioload no problem with the amount of plants and the frequent water changes.

Hi Jnam!

Your tank is looking good, it's good to follow through from planning to complete. I'm starting a project of my own and this thread is a great reference!
Hope all is still going well!

Stew

Went out of town for a week but were back now I bought some corals for the reef! The 3G actually did fine lots of growth a little algea no big deal. I am doing tank maintenance today and pics tonight

Ok so I have decided these little CO2 tanks 88g only last a week. So I am hunting down a larger paintball tank so for the interim I will just supliment carbon with flourish excell. I recieved some ferts from fort and am working on getting a schedule down... dosing 3 gallons of water though is a little tedious I think I may suspend the dry ferts in RODI water so I can dose wet and not dry.

PICS!!
03/02
img_1265247_0_3e5d11480e95bffeb8b11f4be0dbcb71.jpg

Last Night 03/23
img_1265247_1_067d7e14e536058b24fdb973d4342c33.jpg

Seeing some amazing growth the HC is filling in rather nicely I still havent planted my microsword and i probably should soon.

03/22/2011
FTS
ALGEA FILLED MESS =)
img_1265247_2_7d55400ff426951744fe3e718e7c1e26.jpg

Last top down
img_1265247_3_1f4755d1faf5e3a66744e4a19f90f479.jpg

I promise a cleaned and pretty tank pictures within the next two days. =)

I am really surprised you are only getting a week out of it. I am on about week 8 and am still on my first ADA CO2 cartridge. It has far exceeded my expectations. I don't know the exact size but it is small...Pic attached.

I would definitely do a mix for your Ferts. It will make dosing so much easier. I use gallon jugs of distiller water.

Attachments

• image-976811796.jpg
    image-976811796.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 116
Back
Top Bottom