java fern from petco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lamthuyduong

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a live java fern from a petstore called Petco and I'm not really sure if it's a real aquatic plant or not. The java fern came in a long, round, plastic container and on the bottom of the container was a jello-like substance. It was sold on the shelf with other plants. The plants were not in an aquarium. On the package, it was not called java fern, but rather tropica fern. Although the latin name is microsorium pteropus. The company that produced the so called tropica fern is Complete Aquatic Systems (this information was on the back of the package) Will this java fern live? Has anyone bought this type of java fern from this company before?

Java Fern (Microsorium pteropus) is definitely an aquatic plant and one of the best all-round for low to moderate light situations. PetCo is simply distributing this plant in a different type of packaging and the plant should grow just fine in your aquarium. I wrote a profile on Java Fern that might answer some questions for you. Here's a link: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=20138

The java ferns native area floods part of the year. During low water it has different leaves then when totally submerged.

I keep reading about how easy Java Ferns are supposed to be, but I also read that they aren't supposed to be inserted into substrate, rather the rhizome is supposed to be "attached" to driftwood or rocks. How is one supposed to do this? :oops:

Use black cotton thread to tie it down. It will soon attach.

i've used rubberbands whenever possible. once the plant anchors itself, i snip the rubberband and remove it.

I have bought plants like that from PETCO... the jello substance is actually crystals that absorb water to like 500x their origional size and are very usful for keeping plants well watered. they are also used in reptile cages for watering them or something... I bought the argentine sword though, and it has been a great plant, and it comes packaged so well! highly recomend those plants!

Back
Top Bottom