jays 275 cube Fw planted tank progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well time for an update, iv change the diy co2 mix and its going mad will let u know if it keeps it up or burns out ill post some pics

ForumRunner_20121223_121524.jpg

ForumRunner_20121223_121542.jpg

ForumRunner_20121223_121557.jpg

ForumRunner_20121223_121613.jpg

ForumRunner_20121223_121630.jpg

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=137891&d=1355688316

Jay, do you know the name of the plant in one your pics I reposted above? I have the same type and its the only plant I forgot the name of in my tank! Did you trim it down like Rivercats suggested? I think I am going to hark mine back down to see if I can get any better color from it...the bottom leaves are green but the top leaves are red. Great progress and beautiful tank so far!

Sorry the pic didn't post correctly it was a link- I didn't want you to have to open a new tab or something so I will post a reply with it...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 89
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=137891&d=1355688316

Jay, do you know the name of the plant in one your pics I reposted above? I have the same type and its the only plant I forgot the name of in my tank! Did you trim it down like Rivercats suggested? I think I am going to hark mine back down to see if I can get any better color from it...the bottom leaves are green but the top leaves are red. Great progress and beautiful tank so far!

I'm really sorry Dan i don't have a clue what is called iv not cut it back yet because I want it to get good growth before I cut it back so it does not die

Trimming a plant will not increase color. If you have a plant such as Telanthera Rosefolia (Alternanthera reineckii) they have leaves that are green to bronzish on the top and pink underneith, some plants have different color on opposite sides of their leaves. Plus alot of factors determine color. Amount of light, does the plant in question like higher nitrates and lower phosphates or lower nitrates and higher phosphates. Are you fert levels at the proper amounts. Plus often non-red plants will only get pink/red in upper leaves that are closer to the light. This is very common especially in deep tanks.

I was wondering, do you have neon tetras with the angels? And also what substrate are you using?

Hi there I'm using flora-base not cheap stuff and yes theres about 16 neon terra in the tank with the 4 angle because the neons where in the tank first and the angle when in very small they should be fine to live together as the angles grow big

I'm really sorry Dan i don't have a clue what is called iv not cut it back yet because I want it to get good growth before I cut it back so it does not die

Cutting a stem plant back a couple inches below where good growth starts and replanting will actually encourage new growth. Then the bare stems should be removed as they won't grow new leaves.

Cutting a stem plant back a couple inches below where good growth starts and replanting will actually encourage new growth. Then the bare stems should be removed as they won't grow new leaves.

Ok Rivercats as soon as I get the chance and feel up to it the love the cube but it's soo hard to do any thing like that I have to get my snorkel and speedos on and hang up side down lol

Ok Rivercats as soon as I get the chance and feel up to it the love the cube but it's soo hard to do any thing like that I have to get my snorkel and speedos on and hang up side down lol

Try a 220g on a stand, that is exactly about what you have to do but on a 3 step stool to boot :brows:

I cut some plants back today and there's bubbles coming off the plant is this normal ?

Yup! Whenever I trim my plants the stems have lot of bubbles coming out of it- it's like pearling- the oxygen is being released quickly. I'm not sure if yo heard but my tank was a disaster when I got back! It's getting better now and I stopped my C02 but every plant in there is still pearling like crazy! I don't even need to run my air stones it is that much.

Yup! Whenever I trim my plants the stems have lot of bubbles coming out of it- it's like pearling- the oxygen is being released quickly. I'm not sure if yo heard but my tank was a disaster when I got back! It's getting better now and I stopped my C02 but every plant in there is still pearling like crazy! I don't even need to run my air stones it is that much.

Yer I read that sucks big time did u get the carbon in yet

Sry I just finished a WC- Yeah whenever I did my last 75% WC yesterday I cleaned my filter and added some new purigen and 2 bags of carbon. I have a huge canister filter with 4 trays of media so I just threw some in the 3rd tray. I am now going to my lfs for lots of chemicals and cleaning supplies! Yippee.

Sry I just finished a WC- Yeah whenever I did my last 75% WC yesterday I cleaned my filter and added some new purigen and 2 bags of carbon. I have a huge canister filter with 4 trays of media so I just threw some in the 3rd tray. I am now going to my lfs for lots of chemicals and cleaning supplies! Yippee.

There goes your Christmas money

DanTheGuppyMan said:

Sweet! You really don't need carbon with plants though. When will you be running your co2 again?

Back
Top Bottom