jays 275 cube Fw planted tank progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sweet! You really don't need carbon with plants though. When will you be running your co2 again?

The carbon was because he went away for home and his feeder over feed and his tank was in a right mess when he got back. and very smelly

Thanks for explaining that! And yes- I assumed you heard what had happened- I went on vacation and left my tank up to itself and when I got back the feeder overfed them and killed all of my Amano shrimp and a bunch of my snails and that made the tank smell REALLY bad so I was suggested to throw some carbon in my filter.

I told him to temporarily add some carbon Coralline to help remove the smell and some of the toxins. He'll need to remove it in a week or so.

That was a good call. I keep carbon and ammonia chips on hand just for those kinds of tragedies. Sorry to hear you lost all those shrimp. My brother offered to get me a auto feeder for Christmas but I told him I didn't need one. Feels like dodging a bullet!

They sure can. Wild caught fish are, sadly, sometimes not fed for over two weeks during capture, holding and transport. That's too long, but 4 days is easily doable in an established planted tank. Overfeeding kills far far more aquarium pets than underfeeding ever could.

DanTheGuppyMan said:
Good good. I left my 5.5 and 10 gallon without food and they are perfectly fine. The longest I would ever go away is a week so that's good.

That's almost always the case. The ones that aren't fed are just as you left them and the one that got food is a mess. If I leave for a few days I never tell anyone to feed the tanks. Learned that one the hard way also. :( Still, now we know so it's all good from here on man.

It's impossible to sex small angels. As they get larger so people take educated guess by looking at some physical features but the only 100% sure way is to let them mature, pair off, and once the spawn you'll know who is who. A females breeding tube will look like a blunt pencil eraser and be very visable. The males will look like a sharpened pencil tip and be alot smaller.

8 mouth I hate waiting lol
I'm thinking and buying a bigger house 3 maybe 4 bed house as I have two many kids lol so I need advice on moving the tank without killing every thing

Hmmm well the biggest move I ever had to do was going from upstairs to downstairs...I did a 75% WC and took out all the decor and left just the fish and gravel in the bottom and I took it downstairs...but that was just when I had a plastic plant setup so no real plants...

I'm just hoping the red plant stays down long enough to grow rots

Back
Top Bottom