Jill's 55g build on a budget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jill

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got the NASTY tank and stand from craigslist for $25. Phase 1.....shop towels soaked in vinegar coating glass. Pray for me....it's bad. :rolleyes:

img_1872119_0_570f28f39a4020bc27d0b57b7c9210f0.jpg

Jill said:
It's amazing what a little vinegar (actually a LOT of vinegar...lol) and elbow grease will do. And ****, I'm tired....lol.

Well I am sure you will enjoy that tank after all that work, it will be rewarding, a tank like that would have scared me lol.

Looks great! Let me tell you that when you work on a tank like that when it's all done you enjoy it MUCH more than the easier tanks IME! Also, I did my 55g all for less than $100 (minus the fish and the Eco-complete that I'm getting soon) go on eBay for the heater and amazon for the filter. Those are the best/cheapest places I've gotten stuff from! I haven't had an issue with anything so far! Good luck and I'll be watching:) :popcorn:

I'm sure I'll enjoy it more! I'm EARNING it!! :)

It actually came with a filter (albeit a crappy one and equally as nasty as the tank). :rolleyes: I've already found some possible canister filters on craigslist, or I could always just make my husband build me another one. :lol:

I have 2 bags of blasting sand ready to go. Hopefully I'll get to put the sand and water in tomorrow. :fish1:

Following along looks great so far :)

What type of fish are you going to stock it with?

Thanks!

Oddly enough, I have NO idea what to stock it with...lol. I've had my eye on long fin german blue rams and long fin gold rams for a while. Maybe I'll finally get some of those. :)

Jill said:
Thanks!

Oddly enough, I have NO idea what to stock it with...lol. I've had my eye on long fin german blue rams and long fin gold rams for a while. Maybe I'll finally get some of those. :)

My vote is Africans :) but I'm a bit biased :) Congrats on the new tank :)

Jill said:
Can you have africans with a lot of plants? I'm so weird....I get more excited about what plants to stock than what fish to stock. :brows:

Anubius... That's about it! Lol. I tried Tawain moss, Subwassertang, some kind of crypt. The anubius is the only ones standin. I do have an onion bulb that sprouted and has stuck around :) maybe it tastes bad? Have u seen Dino'a tank? He has TONS of anubius it is awesome!

Anubius... That's about it! Lol. I tried Tawain moss, Subwassertang, some kind of crypt. The anubius is the only ones standin. I do have an onion bulb that sprouted and has stuck around :) maybe it tastes bad? Have u seen Dino'a tank? He has TONS of anubius it is awesome!

His tank is beautiful. :smitten:

Ugh....so I just read in another thread that you should be careful NOT to scrape off any silicone when cleaning a tank. I'm pretty sure I scraped a good bit off today. It was covered in green slime, and I didn't realize I was scraping silicone until it was coming off. :(

So now what do I do? Pray?

It might cause a weak spot or water might start creeping in those areas, im not sure of the risks, maybe you can apply more silicone? Hopefully someone who knows about sealing tanks can help you out on here.

Back
Top Bottom