Jill's 55g build on a budget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It might cause a weak spot or water might start creeping in those areas, im not sure of the risks, maybe you can apply more silicone? Hopefully someone who knows about sealing tanks can help you out on here.

Yeah, peace of mind would be nice. I told my husband about it when I did it because I was concerned, but he didn't seem concerned at all so I didn't think much more about it until I saw the other thread.

Jill said:
Yeah, peace of mind would be nice. I told my husband about it when I did it because I was concerned, but he didn't seem concerned at all so I didn't think much more about it until I saw the other thread.

If ur husband is like mine he don't know anything about fish or tanks lmao!

Doing a leak test now....I think I may go ahead and reseal it regardless.

Thought I would use this thread to keep a running tally of my costs as well:

Aquarium, stand, filter and other various supplies: $25
2 bags of Black Diamond Blasting Sand: $16
2 sheets chrome black paper from Michael's for bkgd: $3

Thats a great tank for the budget, I think I would reseal it also , Im not sure if you can put silicone over what you stripped off or you have to strip all the old silicone off first. There is alot of info online about resealing a tank. The way I look at it is there is about 500 lbs of water in that size aquarium looking for a weak spot to get out.

Thats a great tank for the budget, I think I would reseal it also , Im not sure if you can put silicone over what you stripped off or you have to strip all the old silicone off first. There is alot of info online about resealing a tank. The way I look at it is there is about 500 lbs of water in that size aquarium looking for a weak spot to get out.

I think I may try to just reseal the parts I stripped....I should probably do the whole thing, but it IS holding water now so I'll try the easier method.

I think I may try to just reseal the parts I stripped....I should probably do the whole thing, but it IS holding water now so I'll try the easier method.

Oh Jill, you sound like me! Are you having a mini freak out yet lol, I would have! If it were me I would reseal the whole thing for piece of mind! Might make ya feel better in the long run! Hey Im about to check my parameter and see my "Holy Ammonia" lol, want to join in my freak out for the day! Bahahhaaaaa!!!

Oh Jill, you sound like me! Are you having a mini freak out yet lol, I would have! If it were me I would reseal the whole thing for piece of mind! Might make ya feel better in the long run! Hey Im about to check my parameter and see my "Holy Ammonia" lol, want to join in my freak out for the day! Bahahhaaaaa!!!

My 6g shrimp tank has been showing ammonia...driving me crazy!! :facepalm:

I'm not freaking out until I see drops of water escaping....lol....then you will see a MAJOR freak out. :lol:

Lol, ahhhhh, better than I could do :) Id be like oh nooooo, I scraped the seal off, ohhhhhh nooooo, its gonna spring a leak! Ohhhhh goshhhh! Is it gonna fall aparttttt? Lol! And that would go on for DAYS! Lol. It is probably totally fine tho :) Im sure you didnt get too much off :)

From the Picture of the before and after I would reseal it. All of it.

Better to be safe then sorry....

Remember you could leak test it and still spring a leak weeks later....I have first hand knowledge:banghead:.

Also make sure it cures 24 hours...48 is better.
Remember 100% Silicone , no additives. The best way is to look for Aquarium safe on the label.

Good Luck

Have to agree that I would most likely go ahead and remove the rest of the silicone and reapply. silicone on silicone patches are not exactly know to be super effective. It could be that you will never have any issues with it, but IMO better safe than sorry.

Ah! I had to come find this thread since you mentioned it in my "nightmares" thread. That tank looked awful! You did a good job cleaning it! If you do reseal it, good luck! You'll do fine!

And I know I feel so accomplished and proud of my new 55! It looked like crap and I made it look beautiful. :). You'll be so proud of it when it's done! :D

Every time I see someone's 55 g build I always dig in excited and find out they paid like $25-50 for the tank with supplies :( Now I feel ripped off lol I paid $100 for mine.

Either way - following along as a fellow builder-on-a-budget with a 55 gal.

and as everyone else said, reseal it for sure. I leak tested mine for like 4 days and there wasn't even anything suspicious about it (aside from being a craigslist tank) :lol: I'm just paranoid like that.

Can't wait to see some plants and GBR's in there!

janky said:
Every time I see someone's 55 g build I always dig in excited and find out they paid like $25-50 for the tank with supplies :( Now I feel ripped off lol I paid $100 for mine.

Either way - following along as a fellow builder-on-a-budget with a 55 gal.

and as everyone else said, reseal it for sure. I leak tested mine for like 4 days and there wasn't even anything suspicious about it (aside from being a craigslist tank) :lol: I'm just paranoid like that.

Can't wait to see some plants and GBR's in there!

Mine was $150 for the tank stand and supplies. $100 is still a good deal! I wish mine was only $25. The guy wanted $200 but I talked him down. Phew!

:hide:

My husband ASSURES me that I didn't do enough damage to warrant a reseal. He also said that if it starts leaking he will help me take it all back down and reseal it.

I really hope you guys don't get to tell me you told me so. :eggface:

I'm going to set it up with the sand this evening. Pictures will follow. :)

And $100 to $150 for a tank this size is GREAT....I should know....I'm a craigslist stalker. :rolleyes:

Jill said:
:hide:

My husband ASSURES me that I didn't do enough damage to warrant a reseal. He also said that if it starts leaking he will help me take it all back down and reseal it.

I really hope you guys don't get to tell me you told me so. :eggface:

I'm going to set it up with the sand this evening. Pictures will follow. :)

And $100 to $150 for a tank this size is GREAT....I should know....I'm a craigslist stalker. :rolleyes:

I stalked craigslist for 3 weeks before I found my setup. Lol! If your husband says its fine, it must be fine! I'm excited to see the pictures later!

Picking up a Rena XP3 tonight (another craigslist find).

Updated tally:
Aquarium, stand, filter and other various supplies: $25
2 bags of Black Diamond Blasting Sand: $16
2 sheets chrome black paper from Michael's for bkgd: $3
Rena XP3 canister filter: $50

Back
Top Bottom