joe's juice - anybody with experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got some Joe's Juice from my lfs to kill my @#%&* aptasia. I killed off about 20 of the little buggers, and then I got to thinking. By killing that many, could that be detrimental to my parameters? I checked the water, and the ammonia was up a touch, but eveything else is fine. Also, it didn't seem to kill the aptasia all the way. They kind of look funny now, the bases of some of the larger ones are still there, but the mouth and tenticles are gone. They look like little balls. My starfish seemed to enjoy cleaning up the mess after they died though. Just looking for anybody's thoughts on this, I know boiling water works to kill them too, but I already bought the "juice".

apparently it works, I've never used it but apparently it works.

I had 1 in my 20 and I took a steele brush and jigged it into the rock then scrapped the rock down and mashed the aptasia into the rock and then sat a small rock on top of it to starve it off and it seemed to get rid of it.

I'm sure if my caveman method for dealing with them worked, your high tech method od using joes juice will. Sometimes you have to try to kill them a few times I think.

I dunno, but about the water parameters, yeah if you kill to many of them and then they rot in the tank it might cause some ammonia.

That's quite the method that you have there. Joe's juice worked within about 2 minutes. I have read that boiling water works too, you may find that a little easier on yourself, you just need a syringe of some sort. I have some from the drug store that they give for medicine dosages, but Joe's juice had one in the package.

Joes Juice should work out just fine. If you are trying to kill some aiptasia that are greater than 1" in diameter, then they may shrivel up and not completely die yet. One adult aiptasia can produce about 50 offspring per day. If you are killing off smaller ones then here is a snipet from a post I did about Joe's Juice:

Some tips for ya on your next injection:

- Hold the syringe with the tip always pointed up. This helps when moving slowly from victim to victim.

- When you do your first injection for the day, the syringe will leak a little juice immediately after placing it in the tank (prolly due to temp variations; ambient air temp --> tank temp). Place the syringe in the tank and over a spot where there is no life. This way it can drip wherever it wants until ready for use. The leakage will stop on it's own in about 5-8 seconds.

- Move slowly. There is no hurry while injecting those little buggers. You don't want this stuff free floating all over the place. Although it is reef safe. Go s-l-o-w-l-y.

- Hold the tip of the syringe about a half inch above the mouth of the aiptasia. You don't wanna touch the aiptasia directly, it may close up. Squeeze slowly and try to get the sandy looking granules to fall into it's mouth. Once you get lined up right on target, give a little harder push on the syringe. Not like you are turkey basting the rock, but just enough to give him a good feeding of Joe's Juice. If fed correctly, the aiptasia will swallow it up and sink into it's hole. There is no need to keep piling it on him or his hole. This only wastes Joe's Juice. The Aiptasia is now dead.

- Only fill the syringe with what you will need for this killing. If there is any leftover juice, do not place it back in the jar. Use as much as you can. Once the syringe gets in the tank, the saltwater might leech into the syringe. If you place any remaining juice back into the jar, it will become thinner and not as fun to use(learned from experience and further research on the NET).

Those were just my observations with Joe's Juice and Aiptasia in a 29gal reef.
I did this twice a week until they were all gone!

i heard pepermint shrimp will take care of aptasia. I am worried, i dont have any in my tank until i got my small colony of zoos and noticed yesterday a small aptasia. Anyone have any ideas, id rather not spend that much on joes juice when my colony was only ten bucks. Any ideas would be appreciated, maybe ill just pick up a pep. shrimp.

Over here Peppermint shrimp are $12 and Joe's Juice is $15. Peppermints don't go right after aiptasia and eat it, some have to be trained. Some will take days to find the aiptasia and some will take months. Some will never even touch it!

One adult aiptasia can produce up to 50 offspring per day! I would get Joe's Juice and kill it now before you have more than you can handle.

Back
Top Bottom