Joey's Rimless 17 Gallon High Tech Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys-

Recently saw Fishneedit is having a sale (50% off everything), and I kinda like the look of a metal halide, the shimmering and all. Lol. Would it be worth it for $60?? How high would I need to hang a 70w MH over my tank??

Running a quick google search, I ran across a couple of 60P owners that have used metal halide. I'm not sure how good that one is in particular. You can PM Rivercats, she might be able to make a logical guess based on her experience using them on her aquarium. Maybe post a separate thread under hardware/equipment about the Fishneedit light. I have a feeling, however, that the metal halide might not give a lot of 'pop' in color in your red plants. For this reason, I'd probably still opt for the t5ho's with at least 1 powerchrome aquaflora bulb.

Yeahh, it was just kind of an impulse post to see. I love the shimmer, but don't want to sacrifice the color for the shimmer. I'm still sticking with the Aquaticlife Dual T5ho.

In the beginning ill be running the bulbs that come with it. I think they are a rosette and a 6500k bulb, but ill eventually switch to midday and an aquaflora if I find it necessary. Just need to save up some more money. I'm working on this and my shrimp tank. Haha.

My dad said he thinks we can order everything tonight. You have no clue what my level of excitement is. :)

Well, Guys! I will be the Proud owner of a Mr. Aqua 17.4 Gallon Rimless, an Aquaticlife 2 Bulb t5HO, and an Eheim 2215. I'm so pumped. I'll be ordering plants next week, and should have it up by next weekend :) :)

I also grabbed some purigen because I hear of you guys talking about how good it is :)

Light, Tank, and Purigen are scheduled for the 30th, and the filter is scheduled to arrive the 31st

Hey Brian-

So I my Downoi was white with green veins, and now my bacopa is looking a little scorched and the leaves are twisting a little. I've kept my micros up, and haven't seen much difference. Could it be that my low Gh of 2 is causing this? From a lack of calcium and magnesium? I'd really like to get this fixed before I start the new tank.

This is what it looks like.

Attachments

• image-2451426257.jpg
    image-2451426257.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 72
Hmmm... not sure. Rivercats mentioned to me in my thread that twisting leaves could have something to do with calcium or phosphate/magnesium. Maybe you should PM her or aqua_chem if they don't chime in here.

I pmd rivercats. Theoretically, If it is magnesium/calcium would some RO right to raise my Gh work?

Yeah I think it would be beneficial. I reconstitute my RO with similar product from brightwell aquatics mainly for my shrimp, with the side benefit of my plants.

Yeah, i would like to get my Gh to 4 in both tanks. If one drop on the Kh/Gh test changes the water color, would that be 1 Kh?

I pmd rivercats. Theoretically, If it is magnesium/calcium would some RO right to raise my Gh work?

It works, I make my own gh booster out of potassium, calcium, and magnesium salts. It's very good (exact same stuff as seachem's equillibrium) and I just sell the excess on ebay since I make almost 5 pounds each time :p

That's pretty cool! I just ordered some RO right since it was 6$ on amazon. It will be here Tuesday. Gotta love prime. :)

Anyone know why they don't deliver on Mondays??

I think I have it figured out.

I have some thread algae. Nothing major at all. Just a little bit. I noticed it when the only thing I changed was upping my micros for what I thought was a micro deficiency, but I didn't think this was causing it because I thought I had a deficiency in micros. Then, tonight when I found out that my Gh was too low, it clicked. I had though I had a micro deficiency, but my Gh is too low, so the excessive micros are causing the thread algae. I'll dial back my micros to where they were originally, and bring up my Gh. If this doesn't work, I'm not sure what it is. I don't know why in h*ell it took me so long to figure this out. Maybe my 5 concussions are catching up with me. LOL

Very! I saw her fidong with her eggs today. It was pretty cool. Just hoping my 3 neons don't eat all the babies.

Maybe you'll be able to move the neons in time to your Mr. Aqua before the shrimplets come about? Do you have extra media you'll be using to "seed" the eheim with in your filter now? Got to get that sucker cycled quick! Haha

Do you already have a scape in mind, or do you foresee that phase to be a lengthy one due to indecisiveness? Your unborn baby shrimp depend you, dude! Haha

Back
Top Bottom