journy to sw nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Take a read thru my journal: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f101/10g-nano-journal-138353.html

I used sugar fine sand... don't like it. BioCube is going to the be aragonite.

get a AC70 mod it to be a fuge with NO rock in it. I find that its trapping alot of crap - literally haha! and get a HOB skimmer.

I got a tunze 9002 for my biocube, but since its not up just yet, i put it in my 10gal to help clean up the water. I run weekly to bi weekly water changes...and its pulling some nasty out.

also since it wasnt mentioned, once you have a bio load going - fishless cycle - www.reefcleaners.org for a clean up crew for snails. Awesome service and didn't have any losses and got some nice mangrove and chaeto.

ik all about fishless cycle gettin argonite sand tommmarow should i start the fishless cycle then or when i get base rock filter heater lights etc also how can i effectively wash the sand

My thinking is if I can physically wash the sand, whatever i'm washing out isn't going in my tank. I literally just put it in a 5gal bucket and stick a host into it until it comes clear. Not hard and worth the effort IMO.

Flake said:
My thinking is if I can physically wash the sand, whatever i'm washing out isn't going in my tank. I literally just put it in a 5gal bucket and stick a host into it until it comes clear. Not hard and worth the effort IMO.

i only have a 2.5g bucket that i use for pwcs n im 2ndfloor appartment so..all i have is a bathtub

That's what I've always used and always managed to get out so much cloudy water. I've done it both ways. The amount of time it takes to settle compared to rinsing it just makes me wonder what i've put in my tank. JMO. :)

Flake said:
That's what I've always used and always managed to get out so much cloudy water. I've done it both ways. The amount of time it takes to settle compared to rinsing it just makes me wonder what i've put in my tank. JMO. :)

hmm should i rinse? i have a 10g and will be gettin a 15lb bag should i but the whole bag in also or only 10-13lbs

Flake gave you good advice on how to wash it. Yes, you need to wash it or your tank will more than likely be cloudy for a few days or even a few weeks. Washing it will reduce that to a day or two, possibly 3 at most. Use all of the sand that's in the bag. Some may be lost if you use a siphon when you do your water changes, and some of it will clump together or move towards the back of the tank, so it is always better to have a little extra in there.

argonite it is there goes another 20bucks this tankk better look amaziing lol. well thats one thing down sence im goin to have sand should i keep it full of water i dont have a salt mix yet

Doesn't matter. If it were me I'd keep it dry though so nothing nasty will start to form in the stagnant water.

So now you have a tank and sand?

iDreamInSaltwater said:
Doesn't matter. If it were me I'd keep it dry though so nothing nasty will start to form in the stagnant water.

So now you have a tank and sand?

pretty much im gettin the sand some time tmrw gnna add sunday when back at my mom's

Don't even open it until you have all of your equipment and salt. I did what I think you are planning on doing, where you wash it and stick it in the tank for a while. Bad idea, hair, chemicals in the air, and other things may fall into/come in contact with the sand. I was still cleaning hairs out of my tank nearly 3 months after I started it. Not to mention the risk of mildew and other fungi or bacteria that could grow on it. Same goes for leaving it in a tank full of water with no movement. Both are a big no-no, just leave it in the bag no matter how tempting it may be.

thominil said:
Don't even open it until you have all of your equipment and salt. I did what I think you are planning on doing, where you wash it and stick it in the tank for a while. Bad idea, hair, chemicals in the air, and other things may fall into/come in contact with the sand. I was still cleaning hairs out of my tank nearly 3 months after I started it. Not to mention the risk of mildew and other fungi or bacteria that could grow on it. Same goes for leaving it in a tank full of water with no movement. Both are a big no-no, just leave it in the bag no matter how tempting it may be.

:( so sad so so sad next is heater filter then br

what if i took the topfin 20 from my 15 it's currently not in use i have a aqueon 10 or 20 wich is doin beautifully

ik im bein impaitent and im sorry for that but culd i was sand put iin tank fill with fw use topfin20 to circulate water or shal i just hold in my temptation n wait

Back
Top Bottom