Just found baby snail advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just found a really small baby snail in my 55G tank today and I don't know what to feed it or do with it. I have plants in tank. I drop a couple algae tablets in for him too. Will get pic soon. Was a surprise just saw him on glass and was about to wipe him off ( thought he was something bad didn't know he was Alive) any advice would help! Think he came with plants I just bought today.

Most likely they're pond or ramshorm that came in on a plant. Theyre really isn't any special care for them, but that one can turn into a lot of snails. I mean a lot

Fishkeeper26 said:
Most likely they're pond or ramshorm that came in on a plant. Theyre really isn't any special care for them, but that one can turn into a lot of snails. I mean a lot

:O guess I could give them away or sell them. Got them from petco (plants that is)

Should survive fine with no extra care. A snail over population is a symptom of too many nutrients being available (usually over-feeding).

HN1 said:
Should survive fine with no extra care. A snail over population is a symptom of too many nutrients being available (usually over-feeding).

So they don't have to get preggers? Thanks!

IMO where theres one, theres more. especially if you didn't put it in there. watch out :)

animalzrok2 said:
agreed, where theres one, theres more. especially if you didn't put it in there. watch out :)

:O I threw away some of the bottom piece of plants since it came potted. Some coulda been thrown away. Don't see anymore though.

Don't overfeed, properly filter, and gravel vac with a good PWC schedule and they aren't a problem. IME

Great thanks. Here is some bad pictures but they still are pics. Camera not charged and using app in iPhone .

Attachments

• image-671674233.jpg
    image-671674233.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 86
  • image-3765808813.jpg
    image-3765808813.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 80
That's a pond snail. Likely hitchhiked in on some plants or something. They are harmless and you can use them as a gauge for your aquarium maintenance. I just pull mine out and put them in a small, snail only tank. They are fun to watch, I just don't care for them in my tanks.

animalzrok2 said:
just wondering did you got any new plants/decorations recently?

New tank added plants decorations + gravel in today did small cycle without gravel. ( couldn't afford till today)

adadkins1 said:
That's a pond snail. Likely hitchhiked in on some plants or something. They are harmless and you can use them as a gauge for your aquarium maintenance. I just pull mine out and put them in a small, snail only tank. They are fun to watch, I just don't care for them in my tanks.

Great thanks! Will they eat my plants?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have pond snails (as well as ramshorn and bladder snails) in planted tanks and I have never had a problem with the snails eating my plants.

absolutangel04 said:
I have pond snails (as well as ramshorn and bladder snails) in planted tanks and I have never had a problem with the snails eating my plants.

Great thanks! Making sure wouldn't have to move him to my tank that is unplanted.

My snails hitchhiked in and now i have maybe 10 which have gotten quite big and i love them.i didnt like it at first but They dont need extra feeding and it adds more life to the aquarium

Back
Top Bottom