just got new plants. what do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joel618

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got 3 new plants. 2 java ferns and an anubias. Should I dip them in a solution or somethimg before I add them?

It's your call really. You can do a bleach dip (1:19 bleach to water ratio) and then rinse in double dosed decholorinated water. You can google bleach dip for some different methods. If you hard more delicate plants you could do potassium permanganate dips.

Should I really mess with it though? The tank they came from didn't have fish in it.

If you aren't concerned with snails and trust the source then add them. I don't QT or dip all my plants if they come from a trusted source. Then again, I don't mind snails as they are a free snack of my clown loach.

Yeah I have mbuna and loaches so the snails would be a snack. I just don't want to get ick or anything like that. Super new to plants. Any other plant advise would be appreciated as well.

After having to deal with issues such as thread worms (yes thread not planaria as everyone calls any worm they see planaria) and some kind of water flea and snails I would say don't take a chance and for sure do some kind of dip on your plants.

Back
Top Bottom