Just got some cory cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it best to just let them eat the flake food/blood worms and shrimp I feed the neons or should I get some sinking pellets?

I read an article that said they often don't get enough food.

Thanks!
Jana

You should get some sinking shrimp pellets and maybe some algae wafers. You can also feed veggies. You really shouldnt let any food sink to the bottom when you feed.

What kind did you get?

Threestripe/Trillineatus (I think they are called False Juli to?

I will get the pellets and wafers thanks! Do you use sinking pellets like you use fish foods and feed them once or twice a day?

You should get some sinking shrimp pellets and maybe some algae wafers. You can also feed veggies. You really shouldnt let any food sink to the bottom when you feed.

What kind did you get?

IMHO you can skip the Algae Wafers, Cories are meat eaters. They may nibble on a veggie wafer,but they eat meat. Shrimp Pellets, Catfish pellets, Frozen Bloodworms, live Blackworms, Frozen or Live Brine Shrimp are all good.
I feed a variety.

Shouldn't let food sink to the bottom ??? Huh ?
When I feed flake, I do feed a bit extra so some makes it to the bottom for my Cories. I have fast fish, so I make sure my Cats get food.

Planet Catfish is an awesome site for good Cory info.

Congrats on the trilineatus :)
I have C. habrosus and will also have C. hastatus

Make sure you do PWCs and keep the substrate clean. Poor water quality and dirty substrate appears to be the leading cause for infections and loss of barbels in Catfish.

Mine pose on my plant's leaves as they are small enough to do that :)
Here is a iphone vid of my tank during a feeding frenzy
They are eating Frozen Baby Brine Shrimp (my Threadfins have tiny mouths)
Feeding time 10g Shrimp Jungle - YouTube

I'm just saying don't go buy Algae Wafers special for them. They will eat them, but there are other things that are better for them. It won't hurt them to eat one. I feed my Shrimp, veggie based food, my Cories sample it but prefer meat based.

I grabbed some anyway. Had to return a 10 gallon tank. I also got some sinking pellets. A couple ate the algae but not the sinking pellets yet so now I totally over fed them. Maybe time to vacuum the gravel tomorrow! LOL

I was reading that they like pH to 7.2 but also have read that fish will adapt to water pH easily. We have 8.4 or 8.6 is that going to be ok or should I take these guys back?

jlbfish said:
I grabbed some anyway. Had to return a 10 gallon tank. I also got some sinking pellets. A couple ate the algae but not the sinking pellets yet so now I totally over fed them. Maybe time to vacuum the gravel tomorrow! LOL

I was reading that they like pH to 7.2 but also have read that fish will adapt to water pH easily. We have 8.4 or 8.6 is that going to be ok or should I take these guys back?

That is really high PH for Cories AFAIK. You could add some driftwood or Peat to the filter if you want to lower it. Or do water changes with part Distilled or R/O.

I'd ask over at Planet Catfish.

If they have been bred locally in that range of Ph then they should be good.

Most fish can adapt to a varying range of Ph, even more so if they are a 2nd or 3rd gen in that range.

Back
Top Bottom