Just Take Him Out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aguirran

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a healthy well-cycled 65gallon freshwater tank, with sand substrate, live plants, a few loaches and some other scaled freshwater fish. (please see profile for full details). I have no ammonia, nitrates or nitrites. My tank stays around 81 degrees (and the loaches have thrived in it for the past year). Although, admittedly we have a terrible time keeping our pH down even below 8. Argh-should have made this a cichlid tank.
But I digress.... Just yesterday, I bought 3 new Neon Dwarf Guoramis and put them right in- a mistake I will not make again. Today, I noticed that one of them has a moderate case of ich.
Can I just take him out now? Or is it too late, I should leave him in and I need to start treating my whole tank?

Thank you.

P.S. While I'm asking- what do you generally recommend to clean my artificial decor? I usually scrub with just a toothbrush and water. However, my artificial coral is now far too dirty for that to make a difference and the once bright colors are dark and dirty. I'd prefer not to have to buy all new pieces as they are fairly pricey.

Thank you.

You need to treat the whole tank. If one fish is infested then the whole tank has been exposed even if you do not see symptoms yet.

As far as cleaning décor, water and a scrub brush is the safest method. Vinegar or bleach may clean them more but artificial décor/plastic may soak up these chemicals (same as the discoloration happening) then release them in your tank when you add them back. Afraid there isn't an 'easy' solution here other than purchasing décor that is easy to clean.

Back
Top Bottom