keeping male guppies only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieMomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I don't want endless guppy fry. Can I have a community tank where all of the guppies are male? With no females to cause problems would they likely get along. (I have become enamored of the incredible fancy guppy males available on the web.)

Also in the 55 gal tank would be:6 cories, 12 neons (or 6 neons and 6 lemon tetras).

Thanks all. I have fallen hard for the fancy male guppies at liveaquaria and may consider ordering from them. (the delivery fee is just so darn high!)

Male Guppies

Hello jen...

If you don't mind the male Fancy Guppies constantly practicing their mating routine on every thing and every fish, then you absolutely can have all males in a community tank.

I have several large tanks of nothing but Fancy Guppies and a few Corys. All the different colors are really amazing. The Guppies are my favs.

Good choice!

B

Long story short, before we knew how to tell the difference in male and female guppies, we ended up with 4 male guppies and 1 female guppy. The female guppy died while we were trying to find a way to balance the numbers. Since her death, the 4 male guppies seem slightly more aggressive towards each other than before. But, other than the slight increase in aggression, they've been just fine. As previously stated, they flare their fins at each other and still do their mating dances. We have had them take the rare nip at each other, though it's never been anything serious.

All said and done, it was sadly a slight relief when the female guppy died. We were trying to think of what we could do with all the guppy fries we would've ended up with, and now don't have to worry about it. We'll stick with just males. Some of the male guppies have amazing colors and are just gorgeous. Any type in particular you've fallen for?

My favorite of my males is black with orange stripes on the tail..dont know what exact kind they are..but definitely most gorgeous..then its my turquoise..the blonde deltas I have are pretty, but they have big attitudes lol.. also have one that is yellow with black head..dk what kind he is either.. other than fancy guppy..

We have 1 Tequila Sunrise, the female that died was one as well. Our other 3 males look very similar to the Green Cobra guppies on liveaquaria.com. I gotta say I like cobras in general. My hubby likes some of the tux guppies. They can be quite pretty fish.

I wish Petsmart would keep a better selection here locally.. But I just found out we have Aquatic Habitat store a town over... gonna check them out soon... Guppies are so colorful and always busy... Love them

Back
Top Bottom