KH readings API drops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elpez

Aquarium Advice Activist
To me the instructions are not very clear or complete I should say.

Turning from blue to bright yellow after counting drops. Great but what's bright yellow?
Second when the water never turns blue and it's not bright yellow either, what is that mean? 1 or 2 until it turns yellow?

Here are the two pics at 1 and 2 drops. What do you think?

Attachments

• image-261791137.jpg
    image-261791137.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 45
  • image-2049973105.jpg
    image-2049973105.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 40
I say two. From what i read it said to look at it from the top while it sits on someyhing white. But im with you my test look the same.

Thanks for your comments.

I understand its low because my PH is low or PH is low because PH is low. I also run CO2 which drops my PH. I just want to make sure I read the KH accurately so I can look up my CO2 content in the table. So at a PH of 6.2 and KH at 0 my CO2 is practically nothing. But with a KH of 2 then my CO2 concentration is optimal.

If my KH is 0 how can I raise it without using baking soda ? I heard using this method is not the best because of the sodium. Is the alkaline buffer from seachem baking soda too? It sure looks like it.

You can add crushed coral to your filter or put it in a media bag and hang it under your outflow. This will add buffers into your tank naturally. You will have to mess around with the amount you need to use to get the desired ph level you want.

Thanks Rivercats,

I started testing coral by putting some in a container with RO water and here are the results after a few hours only.

Time. PH. KH GH
5:30 pm. 6.5. 1.0 1.0
6:30 pm. 7.2. 1.0 1.0
8:00 pm. 7.6. 2.0. 2.0

So based on this results it looks like coral increases PH a lot more than KH.
So I added 1/2tsp seachem alkaline buffers to my tank (100G) and my PH went up to 6.4 from 6.3 and KH to truly 2 since the 1st drop was blue and the second yellow.

I used the buffer this time since I'll be away from home for 3 days.
I will keep testing the coral when I get back.

Are you using coral now Rivercats? What are your PH and KH values?

Remember it will take more than a few hours for buffers to build up in your water as it is a slow leaching process. I don't use CC now as every tank I have has softer water loving fish and plants. I actually use RO and have peat balls and Indian Almond Leaves in several tanks. I've used it in the past when I've kept brackish water and goldfish tanks and over time the kh raises and settles unless something in your tank is using up a lot of buffers like goldfish tanks do.

Thanks again,

Same here, I prefer soft water for both my plants and fish. What I am not sure of is what the minimum KH value should be. I have seen 3 as the min recommended, and I am not sure what mine is based on the API test kit. I think I finally got 2 KH at 6.4 PH, if I can keep this constant I will be happy. I don't have a drop checker so I use the table and it looks like I am at 24 ppm of CO2. ( aprox.) maybe I should invest on a drop checker. Do you use these? If so which one would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Excellent thanks again Rivercats!

My GH is at 5 so I guess I'll have to work at increasing or maintaining my KH.
I'll definitely get a drop checker. That's not a bad price at all but I don't have an eBay account. Those from GLA cost around 48 USD.
Do you know anything about the fluval or the U.P. aqua sold at amazon?

It only takes a minute to sign up to be able to use ebay. I wouldn't use those other ones. The one on ebay even has free shipping which you can't beat.

Really not good! O well I ordered it already. I read the reviews and did not look bad. We'll see how it works. I should get it this Friday.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom