killer filter tube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pleco951

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a large 1000lph canister filter, that requires 16mm tubing to pump in and out. i have run across a problem that orginlly fish would get sucked up it, i then put a fineish grating over the end of it.
this morning i was missing three zebra danio, and discovered a bit of a mess in the grating covering the tubing (if u get what i mean!)
just wondering are there any ways to stop the fish from getting sucked up, ,and without obstructing the filtering of particles.

PS i had a good amount of rocks around the tube, i thought this was enough to dter the fish from going near in, but they have a thing for tight squeezes!

Please help, ive now lost 5 fish to the killer tubing.

I would try putting a large sponge around it and then surround it with rocks as well maybe. The bio sponges used for filters work well because they will house good bacteria pretty efficiently. Thats what I have on my filter. I'm sure you have thought of this but see if there is a way to turn down the flow a bit.

i have a large 1000lph canister filter, that requires 16mm tubing to pump in and out. i have run across a problem that orginlly fish would get sucked up it

Ok, 1000 L/hr = 264 Gal/hr = 4.4 Gal/min
16mm tube = 0.63 inch (roughly)probably equivalent to 5/8 tube.

The problem is your flow rate at the inlet of the tube. The water velocity is to high for the fish to swim away from. When the fish get to close to the inlet it's like a vacuum cleaner hose.

I would like to see a picture of the set up but, If you attached a larger (32mm+ diameter, and 10cm+ long) perforated tube (PVC with holes drilled) to the 16mm one and covered it with a sponge of some sort the suction would be diffused to a greater area and it wouldn't trap the fish. You could try just the sponge only but it wouldn't be as effective.

P.S. plug the bottom of the new extension so it draws from the holes in the side.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom