Kissing Gourami Eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishiefish51

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two kissing gouramis and i am not sure if the food i feed them is to there liking. They will sometimes eat it and then sometimes won't. What foods do they like? And i know they eat algee so is that why they are not always eating the foods i feed them??

fishiefish51 said:
I have two kissing gouramis and i am not sure if the food i feed them is to there liking. They will sometimes eat it and then sometimes won't. What foods do they like? And i know they eat algee so is that why they are not always eating the foods i feed them??

I have a dwarf gourami and she likes flakes and brine shrimp. I started to mix in some tougher tropical fish pellets that the tetras take down np but she's not having it.
Hope that helps

They are omnivores, so like a little bit of variety in their diet.

I have had many different gourami, and while they do seem to enjoy tropical flake food, their absolute favorite has always seemed to be algae wafers and other vegies. I will break up an algae wafer into a few pieces twice a day and put it in the tank. More than any other fish they like to nibble on it. You can even boil a zucchini or cucumber slice in the microwave, let it cool, and put that in. They love it.

Another thing to possibly consider is that if you have fast-moving fish like danios or barbs in the tank, they will often eat much of the flake food before the gourami has a chance to come to the surface. To help with this, I put a very small pinch of crushed flake food in a corner nearest the gourami. The other fish will eat it, but the gourami will see the commotion and smell the food, slowly coming to the surface to check it out. I will add a normal pinch after that and they seem to get their fill if they are in the mood for flake food.

Hope that helps a little!

Back
Top Bottom