kitty litter substrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dingogirl66

Aquarium Advice Regular
I keep reading that people use kitty litter as a substrate? Is this actually ok for a tank? and will it kill fish? I want to know some info if anyone has any.

It's laterite, you can use unscented kitty litter, or pay for laterite at a fish store, I find it get's far to cloudy.. in general the cheapest kitty litter would be the right one. It also needs a substrate to be added to.

Don't just go with the cheapest.

Go with 100% clay untreated cat litter. MOST brands of cat litter are treated with deodorants, disinfectants, clumping agents, etc. IF you buy those, your fish will be dead shortly after introducing it into the tank.

100% clay cat litter. I have used it myself several times, and like it just fine, no cloudy water problems.

I put 2 inches of cat litter and cover it with 1-2 inches of sand. When I fill the tank, I put a layer of wax paper on the sand, put a styrofoam plate on the wax paper, and any water coming into the tank hits that plate. Any runoff from the plate hits the wax paper.

You will have air pockets in the clay. I poked the substrate with a pencil to get as much air out as I could, then smoothed the sand. I planted my plants and they LOVE the kitty litter. Since it's a small fraction of the cost of any bagged substrate 'designed' for fish, I highly recommend it.

Kitty litter is too light, contains NH4 and degrades very quickly and turns to mush. Turface/Soilmaster is just as effective and won't break your wallet in larger tanks.

Kitty litter is considered an 'advanced' substrate, and while it works, it has lots of quirks and things you ahve to keep track of. its also messy/dirty stuff.

I agree with Malkore if you're planning on messing with the tank a lot. I disagree with Simpte, my cat litter has never turned to mush or 'degraded'. That may have something to do with the quality of the clay granules used in the cat litter, I don't know. If you want an inexpensive substrate in a tank that isn't going to be constantly re-arranged, it's a good deal. If you're going to dig in it a lot after your setup, you might consider something else.

Thanks for all the tips everyone....I am going to try the kitty litter w/sand on top as the substrate.....I figured the cheap old store brand would be good but i will look at the labels on the bag to make sure..I have never had a planted tank b4 so I am attempting it. Wish me luck guys!!!

How well does natural kitty litter + sand hold down stem plants and rooted carpet? Just curious.

Back
Top Bottom