Kribensis and Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bods2021

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 36 gallon tank with 6 Cardinal tetras, an Angelfish, a Dwarf Gourami, a Red Tailed Black Shark and a Clown Pleco. I recently decided to purchase a female Kribensis cichlid after doing plenty of research and using AqAdvisor. From everything I researched she should get along very well in this tank. However after about 24 hours she decided to start torturing the Dwarf Gourami. I was hoping it would subside but it only continued to get worse. She would chase the Gourami back and forth and nip at her sides when given the opportunity. I was forced to give the Kribensis away to bring some peace back to my tank. Everyone else seems to gets along very well. I guess my only real question is should I have paired the Kribensis with a male? Does this cause aggression or do they just not get along with Dwarf Gouramis? I would also like to add either/both a Cockatoo Apisto and a German Blue Ram but I don't want to run into a similar situation. Has anyone had these fish together and can share their experience? Thans.

I have German Blue Rams and they are the centerpiece of two of my tanks. There are mixed opinions about Cichlids throughout forums and the main point in all is: they are Cichlids, they are territorial, and they are the boss.

I already forgot what you have on your tank (fish-wise) but what I remember is you having many fish that like to be boss too. You already have an established hierarchy with which you need to work around but always look for the well-being of the fish.

Now back to your Cichlids question. Cichlids are social fish. For instance... German Blue Rams are good to have in pairs. Kribensis male like to have a harem of females. Discus need a school of 6+. ...and so on. I only have GBRs but still did the research on most at the beginning to learn what I can do and what I cannot.

Another thing to consider is water parameters. We all know that you should have zero Ammonia and zero Nitrites, with low Nitrates; but not all fish require temperatures higher than 77° like most Cichlids.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Every fish is an individual. Keep that in mind. I've heard many people say that kribensis can be aggressive with other fish. I've only had one, so not much experience, but she never bothered anyone in a community tank. Of course, the tank was a 55, and more room will sometimes mean less aggression.

Angelfish are cichlids, like the kribensis. The Angel could have been somehow stressing the krib out, making her feel vulnerable, even if it wasn't attacking her. So in turn, the krib could have been taking out her aggression on the dwarf gourami. Also, it's hard to say, but dwarf gouramis are not the most peaceful of fish, and maybe the krib felt she should assert herself before the gourami did. Also the red-tailed shark could have also made the krib feel defensive. I know an awful lot of people on message boards have not had luck with kribs getting along with other fish, so it really is not uncommon.

Cockatoo apistos can be little pistols! I had one, and she was smaller than any fish in the tank, yet she still harassed and bullied them constantly. Use caution with apistos! They are firey! I definitely wouldn't add both a GBR and an apisto. I had trouble there too. A GBR would likely get along with what you have in the tank, as they stay toward the bottom a lot, and your others are top/middle dwellers, (except for the pleco) but there is always the chance it won't. Also, keep in mind GBRs are known to be delicate, and people report many unexplained deaths, myself included. So they can cause heartache in that way. And yes, a GBR prefers temps of about 82, whereas a majority of tropical fish like it at about 78, so that is a four degree temperature difference. You have to keep that in mind, as I'm sure you don't want any of your fish uncomfortable in water that is too cold or warm for them.

GBRs do fine by themselves. Lots of people have them as singles, as well as Bolivian Rams. A pair would most likely be very aggressive when breeding, and that would lead to aggressive toward other fish. So you have to keep ALL the factors in mind: Disposition of the fish, temperature, top/middle/bottom, dwelling, etc. It all has to balance out or there will be trouble and/or deaths.

Fish are much happier in pairs or schools. Stocking with one of this and one of that rarely works out well.

Sent from my iPod touch
using Aquarium Advice
Rlederer

Back
Top Bottom