Kuhli loach tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mumma.of.two

Aquarium Advice Obsessed
I am wondering what everyone considers the minimum tank size for kuhli loaches? I'm finding so much conflicting info. I have a 17g tank and am looking for some bottom dwellers. Wondering if they would be suitable.
17g tank 24x12x14
Tank mates
Female Betta
Male dwarf gourami
Mystery snail
7-8 neon tetras
There is a 1.5 inch bristlenose but he is being moved to my 70g when I get some more bottom dweller or when he reaches 2 inch (whatever comes first).

I have about a dozen kuhlis in my 46 community. I had started out with 5 in my 30 gallon community and cannot imagine them in a smaller tank. They really need room to zoom.

Hmmm I personally think they will be fine in a 17 a small group of them would fit. They dint really zoom around unless they are frightened so I'm not sure.

I had 6 in a 20. They do need the hidding places. Now I got like 12 in a 36 they seem happy.

Hmmm I personally think they will be fine in a 17 a small group of them would fit. They dint really zoom around unless they are frightened so I'm not sure.

Yours must not ever have done the kuhli "dance of joy" which means racing, both vertically and horizontally up and down the sides of the tank glass. They love to race to the top of the tank and then hang glide from one side to the other. I have a 16 gallon and, although her 17 offers a slightly larger footprint, I just don't see the kuhlis having the room they really need to be happy in that small of a tank.

Mine definitely don't zoom because they're frightened..... they're playing!

I agree that they do zoom around from time to time, but they are not constantly zooming. Of course the more room the merrier, but I think a 10g+ footprint is sufficient. Recommended tank size is very subjective.

I must have alien kuhlis then. Mine are out day and night, constantly dancing around and zooming. By zooming, I don't mean like they're being chased by the hounds of hades, I mean casual flying. :D

I should say that although I saw the same behavior in my 30, the level of behavior in the 46 is more exaggerated, they just love how much room they have and take full advantage of it.

Tank size truly is subjective and as mumma suggests, she's receiving conflicting info. I can see why. :lol:

LOL LyndaB!

I had my Kuhlis in a 20g tall and they were out all the time and zoomed once in a while. So rarely that I laughed, then worried if it was okay. Since moving them up to my 55g, they haven't really changed that much. They do spend most of the day foraging around through the substrate, but they do not zoom frequently.

Odd differences in fish...what are you putting in your water? :ROFLMAO:

Just as a side question..does your dwarf gourami and the betta get along ok? Just something I might be considering soon.

richardh said:
Just as a side question..does your dwarf gourami and the betta get along ok? Just something I might be considering soon.

They do actually :) I was warned to have a back up plan if it didn't work but it wasn't needed. My Betta is a sook though. Lol.

Given the small tank size, please just go for 4.

i agree. if you put them in that small of a tank only 4 .. i would not even suggest them for that small of a tank.

i have 5 in my 60g hex, then still seem to struggle for their own space once they get active.

LyndaB said:
Given the small tank size, please just go for 4.

Ok four it is. I'm sorry LyndaB I know I just broke your heart a little. :( I do own a 70g fully planted community. I can shuffle fish about and make room for them in there if they are not doing well in the 17g.

Back
Top Bottom