Kuhli loach tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Once they get bigger they start digging & up rooting the plants

Mine are full size (pretty thick and 3+ inches long) and they do not have any effect on my plants. They actually really enjoy crawling around the base of plants, and will sometimes ascend to the top of my anacharis! Funny little fish.:rolleyes:

If they are young make sure to cover your filter intake. I sucked one of mine up and it wasnt pretty. Also in a small group of four they will dig and hide alot IME

I have 4 and they hide all day during the day:(

Or chill in the massive tangle of rhizome on my java fern

tarpon said:
If they are young make sure to cover your filter intake. I sucked one of mine up and it wasnt pretty. Also in a small group of four they will dig and hide alot IME

Will do! I'm going to get some fly screen and tie it over the intake to my canister.

OBEYtheFISH said:
Really? Mine are little rascals! They love to go under the soil & up root my plants >.<

Im not worried. The only plant that's in the substrate is a sickly Val that I might chuck out anyway. :)

I keep 4 Kuhlis in 25g. Actually 3 because my wife found 1 of them on the floor tonight. Poor guy loved to race and must have jumped out. My Kuhlis have mixed personalities. Two of them race on top from side to side, other two always stay on the bottom.

My kuhlis have never done any damage to my plants. They like to lay inside them, but they've never damaged them.

I think that everyone has pretty much voiced their opinions but here's mine.

I have kept these interesting critters for a few years now. I started with 3 in my 10g heavily planted tank, they were probably the most active fish in that tank. Constantly racing up and down the glass, swimming back and forth a lot like cories do.

I then put them in a 20H and added 2 more. It took a long time for them all to mingle again, the two newbies would hang out on the opposite side of the tank.

I then moved them to my 30g long tank and they seemed to have stopped doing their happy dances and darting back and forth. They will soon be in my 75g and plan on upping the numbers some more.

Basically, I don't think the kuhlii dance is a reliable way of saying they are happy. Everyone is saying a 20 long is the minimum but when I had them in my 10g they were doing their dance. Just my $0.02.

Thank you everyone for the input. I have purchased 5 kuhlis and they are in my QT at the moment. Last night (Aus time) they where 'dancing' up and across the glass. This morning they are all sleeping on top of the internal filter. They are VERY cute and entertaining to watch. My daughter and I sat in front of the tank watching them for a good half hour before she had to go to bed.

Get yourself a magnifying glass. When you get up close and personal with their faces, you can see that they resemble miniature walrus heads. :D

LyndaB said:
Get yourself a magnifying glass. When you get up close and personal with their faces, you can see that they resemble miniature walrus heads. :D

Hahaha! That's gold!

image-3877306505.jpg

Here are the little guys! They do have a 'cave' (car ornament) but they have chosen the filter as their digs. You can see #5 sticking his head out over the top.

They are SO cool!!! Dothey dance for you 24/7? I love those little guys now, and have always thought of them as hiding all the time.

How many of those could you put in 40 gallons? My peacock eel might mistake them for worms;)

Back
Top Bottom