Lake Tanganyika Build :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blackwater is water that is heavily stained with tanins, making the water acidic. South America is best known for blackwater habitats, but southeast Asia, west Africa and the southeast United States also have black water ecosystems. It is not appropriate for Rift Valley cichlids from Lakes Tanganyika, Malawi, and Victoria.

WYite
Ok thanks for that i was wondering...
Hmm ah well i better get another tank and do some black water aye!
my results are as follows
ammo - 1
trite - 0
trate - 0

Im thinking i read the results wrong last time or they werent acuarate so im more or less trusting this betterm, which is still quite a postive results.
My prawn is also in the tank and starting to put ammonia in there which is good, when should i take it out?
Oh really? Ill look around for some of those, right now im on ebay searching haha!

so now i have seeded the tank with some filter media :) should be ready by monday fingers crossed
Also im thinking of going with maybe going with the julidochromis Regani :)! I love them and they are in stock at one of my local LFS plus i can order some multies from there! So im super excited now!
I still need some shells though, but im going to look on the weekend in between my tennis tournament :)

Last edited:
Cycling will usually take longer especially if you're using only prawns. You should see an increase in ammonia, then a spike in Nitrites (the longest part of the cycle), a decrease in ammonia, and then an appearance of Nitrates. There are many food articles and postings on this subject on AA. Many people will dose their tanks with ammonia using a controlled dosage and measure ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH daily. Once you see what I mentioned above (could take weeks or months), you will eventually get 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and your nitrates will be ever increasing. This will take quite a bit of patience; since your tank is seeded this should help speed the process. Your tank is looking quite nice, by the way. Best of luck.

Ok thanks for that i was wondering...
Hmm ah well i better get another tank and do some black water aye!

Indeed - a South American or West Africa river tank biotype looks pretty cool. Unfortunately, due to the black water, they are very hard to take pictures of.

Your Tanganyika set-up is looking very nice.

Thanks rotor head for the info
They just look stunning to me, but yeah that would be the biggest problem haha, taking photos :/
Also ive found a place locally where i can get shellies and julies so thats pretty exciting except im going to have to put a deposit in so they know im serious about getting them haha, which is fair enough because really they are expensive and not the most 'attractive' fish in the world

people i have found neolamproglus caudopunctatus and im going to get them! They from what ive read are a pairing fish and the fish place has a pair!
Please will these fish survive with julidochromis? And how different are they to multies?

Also, do a search for "shellies"on this forum and there are quite a few posts on stocking.

Julie's will commonly be territorial, especially towards conspecifics, but given enough space, and good rock work, I believe, and if it doesn't work, please don't jump down my throat, that they will work in a shellie tank, and I have seen them kept with shellies, not regani, but dickfieldii and another that seems to have slipped my mind

Julie's will commonly be territorial, especially towards conspecifics, but given enough space, and good rock work, I believe, and if it doesn't work, please don't jump down my throat, that they will work in a shellie tank, and I have seen them kept with shellies, not regani, but dickfieldii and another that seems to have slipped my mind

Ornatus, probly.

WYite

I'd keep it to a single pair of Julies, they can be quite territorial to conspecifics from what I've read

Ok ill just add a pair of the julies but with the brichardi i dont want it to mate or anything i just want one and i have heard they can live on their own so ill see how that goes.
Test results are
1.0 ammonia
0.25 - 0.5 of trite
0 Nitrate
Almost there! And now im considering just going back to the multies because the brevis dont colonise with their remaining spawn, ahh what to do :(

Ah that makes sense

I know in my area, multies aren't really worth anything, so selling off offspring isn't exactly easy...I had 30 babies from my 3 females, and asked a couple places, and my best offer was $1 for each fish...I only have a 6 gallon so I can only maintain 4 in the tank, 3 females, 1 male...unfortunately, I went into the hospital for a couple weeks and lost all but 5 fry, but they're like rabbits and I'm sure I'll have more soon

Hey all
So I'm getting excited because the cycle is really coming along :)
.50 ammonia
1.0 nitrite
5.0 nitrates
Here is a pic too and mum said that she'll get me some shells tomorrow too :) I gave her strict instructions too lol
Also the stock is going to be
7 multies
2 julidochromis ornatus
1 brichardi

Attachments

• image-3549302715.jpg
    image-3549302715.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 101
Looking good! Just know that the multies will redecorate, and for such small fish, they sure can move a lot of sand

Back
Top Bottom