46 gallon Tanganyika conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mt430

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I have a 46 gallon bowfront that i've had going for almost a year now, stocked with some tetra, cories and an angelfish, along with amazon sword. I enjoy the tank, but frequent trips to the LFS has got me thinking about converting it to a Lake Tanganyika tank. I think this type of tank would appeal to me more than the setup I have now.

Because this mean i'd essentially be 'restarting' my tank, i've been taking advantage of that and doing a fair bit of research on all aspects of rift lake tanks, not just stock. I figure i'll go with a simple setup of pool filter sand and rocks, with a bag of coral in the filter to help with water conditions. At this time, I haven't decided on what type of rocks i'd like, but i'm leaning towards piling several rocks versus something like Texas Holey Rock. Layout will be determined by rock choice obviously, so that will have to wait.

In terms of fish selection, i've narrowed it down to a few species. I don't want any shells in my tank, so i'm avoiding species like multifasciatus, for example. The first species, and the one I would I absolutely want is neolamprologus caudopunctatus. I've read good things about them, and love the way they look. Seem like the perfect start for my aquarium. Sounds like they don't need shells either.

The second species is where i'm a bit stumped. The primary two that I have been looking at the most are altolamprologus calvus and Julidochromis transcriptus. I'll note that neither of these two are set in stone, and am open to suggestions on what else would go well with the caudopunctatus.

Where I could really use some advice is on how well the species will live together, and how many I could have of each. If I could have the punks, the julies, AND the calvus in there, I was thinking of going 5/1/1 or something. I wonder though if I would I be better off going with 5 or 6 punks and 2 of either julies or calvus? Possibly more punks even? I'm not too sure about any of them, and would appreciate any help!!!

I wouldn't do the calvus, it might dominate and kill the others. Alto. Compressiceps is a better option.

I have kept punks before . I had 3 breeding pairs in 29 gallon. It worked but I would not try it again. you said you do not want shells but punks are border line shell dweller... I would think that you might want to put some shells in the tank if you go with punks... I think that is what kept aggression down in my tank....

Cyps can go in as small as a 29 if breeding is not the goal. A 40 works fine for spawning

I would do a group of smaller Tanganyikan haps maybe shellies (larger ones) with a calvus as a centerpiece.

I agree. Another idea is a group of brichardi a lot of character. Also a threesome of julies. They tend to not hassle each other.

Thanks for the help everyone! I've been doing a fair bit of research lately, browsing forums, reading articles etc,. Although I started looking at doing a Tanganyika tank, i've decided to do a Malawi tank instead. Leaning towards a stock of demasoni and yellow labs, a mix of 12 and 3 seems to be recommended as a result of the demasoni's aggression towards it's own species

Although I wonder if 11 and 4 would be an option instead, I think i'd prefer an extra lab in there.

EDIT: More research tells me the demasoni/lab mix won't work. Seems like I could only have 1 species of dwarf Mbuna in my tank. I was hoping for a tank with 2 or 3 species, with some nice colors. What Malawi/Tanganyika cichlids would fit what I want?

You could probably have a group of Redfin caudopunctatus with a pair of Julie's and then possibly a type of calvus or comp.... The punks will stay in the middle water column and the Julie's would dominate rock structure...

Decided to do a tank of Pseudotropheus Saulosi, thanks again for the advice everyone!

Back
Top Bottom