Large pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soulfull

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am restocking a 45 gallon tank in my son's room. He had a large parrot fish that died a few months ago. Since then there has just been a catfish and plecostrimus in the tank. The plecostimus is at least 8 inches long, maybe 10. He is really too much for the tank. Is there likely to be anyone locally that would want a large pleco? Is it worth anything or should I just hope to find it a good home.

I suppose I could keep it. I am just planning to add some zebra danios and cardinal tetras for now. If the numbers look good I was doing to add 6 zebra danios now and 6 cardinal tetras in a week or two.

Welcome to AA! :)

Call around to the local shops and check out whatever clubs are local to you. They can be difficult to rehome since they can get 2 feet plus depending on the species. Whatever you do don't release it. Good luck!

Definitely post something on craigslist, but always ask a rehoming fee to weed out undesirable people! But I would think big plecos would be sought after, especially because fish stores sell them for so much (at least mine does). The advantage to rehoming vs. giving to the pet store is that you can choose who your fish go to and make sure that they are knowledgeable about fish and a good match. It may take some time, but knowing that you are giving your fish to a good home is worth the peace of mind!

+1 on listing on Craigslist. I listed a pleco on my local CL and actually got a huge response of interested people!

Back
Top Bottom