Lava Rock as Filter Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfdrookie516

Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
Anybody use Lava Rock as filter media? I've seen several recommend it over at APC. I'm considering giving it a go, just curious if anyone else is currently using this?

When setting up my wet/drys a few years ago I researched this a little bit and got every opinion under the sun from it's the greatest ever to negatives like leaching heavy metals. Here's a article I saw when looking...I ended up with pot scrubbies from the dollar store in one of them.

Bio Filter Media for Ponds and Koi

Last edited:
I have a piece of lava rock in my tank...not sure if it is helping with bio filtration or not, but my water is crystal clear most of the time so it def isn't hurting things...

You know, I think I've seen that site before... but never paid attention to the lava rock portion. I've always heard good things about the pot scrubbers, but also the bad (as far as trapping waste, something that those recommending the lava rock said wouldn't happen nearly as bad). I would kind of like to test it out, but that chart just throws it under the bus. As porous as it looks, it definitely doesn't have much surface area. Thanks for the link, definitely some good info to look in to.

I have three wet/drys running and you know that any media needs to be rinsed on a regular basis, the other two have bioballs and I have not seen a dramatic difference in maintenance between the two.

Well, knowing the kind of fish you have, that says a lot. I guess I'll just run down to the dollar store and get some pot scrubbers then.

Back
Top Bottom